Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rpumas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2005, 07:19 PM
    Lights out but circuit is hot
    Here is the situation, 2 wall outlets, 1 fluorescent, and 9 celing cans all on the same circuit. 6 of the cans are controlled by a pair of 3 way switches, the other three on single pole switches. Nothing works. The circuit breaker doesn't trip and I have reset it several times. What happens is that everything will work one day, and then bam, out for a week or two until they mysteriously work again. When they aren't working, I've tested the wires to the switches and as expected 1 is hot, and the other not when the switches are removed. When I hook the switches back up, both of the wires on the switch become hot and the single pole switches will affect the wires on the 3 way switches actually making the lead wire hot or cold depending on the position of the single pole. What could cause this?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2005, 07:48 PM
    Could be a loose neutral wire. If the power can't make it back to the box through the white wire, no light. Since it is the whole circuit, I would open up whatever is closest to the box and check its connections. With the power off, he white should be continuous to the ground. With the power on, it shouldn't show more than a volt or 2. If it isn't continuos to ground, it could be loose at the box. To check that means taking the cover off exposing the main feed from the pole outside. Even with the main breaker off, the big wires running to it still have power. Think twice about messing around in there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many outlets/lights/rooms/other on one circuit? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a house built in the 1890s with the original knob and tubing wiring. I'm completely remodeling the bathroom and I want to rewire 3 bedrooms. At first, my plan was to use one circuit per room, but I'm not going to have enough circuits in the existing panel for that. So my question is,...

How many lights on a 15A lighting circuit [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone! First post and thanks in advance, hopefully! I was wondering how many lights I can put on a 15A lighting circuit. I have a second floor that I want to put a (1) hall light, (3) closet lights, & (1) bedroom light. Would it be too much to put a bathroom vanity light and a vent...

3 lights ran between 2 3-ways, can one of these lights be controlled by a 3rd switch? [ 2 Answers ]

There are 3 lights connected, 2 in one room and the third at the bottom of the stairs. There is a 3-way at the top of the stairs and another in the room with the 2 lights. This guy would like to also be able to switch off just the 3rd light at the bottom of the stairs. I did not dig into this too...

Gfi circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if when wiring for 2 gfis for different circuits, do I need separate neutrals for each or just a common one

Outside GFI circuit - 15amp outlet on 20amp circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I need a better understanding of what I should do when setting up my new outdoor circuit. I've got a circuit that runs about 150 feet, so I'm installing 10g wire to allow for the voltage drop. I read in the Home Depot Electrical 123 book that I can have at most a 15amp circuit with 10g wire on...

View more questions Search