Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tamski Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2007, 11:03 AM
    changing i-d in routers to stop hackers
    How do you change the I-d in your router to stop hackers getting in?? I have known for awhile that my computers were being hacked, because of things I've found, = files, changes to program info, things missing, etc, But today I've just got proof, My firewall put a message on screen saying- 'Some of the firewall initialisation files have been tampered with by an external source. These files have been restored to provide maximum security for your system. You are advised to run an Anti-Spyware product to make sure your system is clean from malware'... I am using Avast4 home edition anti-virus, Pc tools firewall plus, Spyware detecter, Super anti-spyware, Spyware terminator (which is one of the programs that was messed with), a-squared free, along with other programs for cleaning registry, etc. I felt the need to have a few Spyware programs because I knew my computers were being hacked. Someone mentioned to me that to help stop the hackers getting in was to change the I-d in the router! So can someone tell me how to do it please, I've looked online, but it seems rather complicated! I also think I know who is hacking,-(personal reasons), but I have no proof of who, just that someone has. Also, is there anyway I can get proof of WHO is doing it on my computer? If so please let me know that too.. Any idea's would be appreciated... Does anyone also know of any better programs than the ones I've got that are free? Also, (LOL,) Is it possible to change the I-d in my modem too? Because I'm sick of things being messed with in my computers.. Thanks to anyone in advance,that replies with any ideas. :(
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2007, 12:14 PM
    Your router has a setup page, click on wireless, then change SSID. Disable broadcast.
    Enable MAC Filtering. Have your computers MAC Address in the Allow table.
    Also, have a passphrase for WEP or WPA encription.
    Won't stop a pro, will eleminate a lot of amateurs. Good Luck.
    tamski Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2007, 10:07 PM
    Thanks 4 your answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing IP stop XBL(Xbox Live) lag? [ 1 Answers ]

I play xbox live a lot but this past week I have been lagging a lot. Will changing my ip stop the lag?( just in case your wondering there is no bad weather and nobody is on the internet when I lag)

Hackers, how do they? [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: I have been getting emails and now mail at my house from someone that claims to be my friend. I don't know who this person is, but I do have my suspicions. The thing is how did this person get my name, home address, email address and phone number. I have an AOL email address and AOL...

Changing Stop Lights: 96 Camry [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: How do you remove the tail light assembly to change a brake light on my 96 Camry sedan? Do I unscrew the metal covering on inside of trunk? Thanks. Duh - :rolleyes:

Are computer hackers real? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I wanted to know if anyone knew about people hacking in computers... you see I had pictures of my social security and birth certificate and other important documents in my computer and then my brother told me not to do that cause people from the internet can find it and then they can...

Protect against hackers [ 11 Answers ]

Is there a program to protect against hackers so u can't get hacked or is your firewall what protects against that type of stuff?

View more questions Search