Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rauf Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Dec 13, 2005, 12:12 PM
    Online dating - what do I say to her?
    I have now been single for five years, before that I was in an 11 year relationship that when bust. Ready for dating but it's not so easy find dates for my age group in pubs and clubs. I have joined a dating agency. What do I say to get that first response? Tell her about myself, my hobbies; that’s so lame…Please help. :confused:
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2005, 12:42 PM
    I would say be yourself.

Say something about how you would love to go into yourself and your hobbies, but you think that is lame.

However, perhaps you should then go into your hobbies and who you are as part of Internet dating is to find someone who shares similar interest and hobbies as you do.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 13, 2005, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    I would say be yourself.

Say something about how you would love to go into yourself and your hobbies, but you think that is lame.

However, perhaps you should then go into your hobbies and who you are as part of Internet dating is to find someone who shares similar interest and hobbies as you do.
    Tried to rate this one, but got the 'spread it' message.

There is nothing lame about telling about your hobbies, your likes in music,books, TV shows, even card games and taste in food and wine, etc. Including what type of pets you like. You want to meet someone with the same interests and if you're not truthful, and finally get to the point where you meet face to face, what do you do then? This is your goal, isn't it - to meet someone. Or do you just want to make up what you think are interesting stories to keep someone 'on the hook' which would not be fair to those seriously looking for a partner to share common interests with. Who knows, you might find the right 'gal' this way and won't have to play any games, just be up front and then go from there. As a matter of fun (not fact) run a profile of yourself by us, and see what type of response you'll get. Maybe some more of our hints will help you out. Have fun! P.S. you can fake the city and state... but nothing else.

Go get them, and don't be shy...

Dec 13, 2005, 02:52 PM
    Here is my online dating profile
    Tag Line:
    We can't talk if you don't call

My Profile:
    I am happy with what I have: family, good friends, job I enjoy, blah blah blah but I am missing that special someone. I love meeting new people and experiencing new things.

Tried to find smily but none seem to go!
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 13, 2005, 03:05 PM
    Tag Line:
    We can't talk if you don't call Sounds like you don't want to pay the phonecall!!

My Profile:
    I am happy with what I have like what? a house, appmt, etc. : family (how big, kids, etc), good friends, job I enjoy - like what type , blah blah blah but I am missing that special someone to share it with me. I love meeting new people and experiencing new things.

You did not state in here what you liked, if you enjoy sports, music, movies, etc.

Unless you added a picture that looked like George Clooney, I would not answer to your post, sorrry, but you'll have to do better than that...

Try again..
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2005, 04:49 PM
    My Profile:
    I am happy with what I have: family, good friends, job I enjoy, blah blah blah but I am missing that special someone. I love meeting new people and experiencing new things.

Ummm, if I was reading this I would say, "If you are so happy with what you have, then why are you on this dating site?" Obviouslly you are not 100% happy, so don't use happy,

Say you are content, but looking for more. Or something to the affect.

And also take Chery's advice and add more substane to it. Go into you hobbies and interests.

Other than your family, friends and jobs, I know nothing about you. What do you like to do with your time, etc.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 13, 2005, 05:06 PM
    On Line
    Ok, first both of you are giving info to a online dating service, so basically both of you know why you are there. Just start chatting, exchanging ideas, values and beliefs.

Next when you start dating on line, you have to start thinking what about long term. If you find someone and like them but they they are 400 miles away, or 1000 miles away, what are you going to do.

I meet my wife on line ( married 7 years now) if you live a long way off from each other, most of your "dating" will be online chats. You will have to travel to meet in real life.

Next if it gets serious, one party will have to quit their job and more.

Just that a lot of people don't consider or think of this early into a relationship online. In my case, I ended up selling my house, quiting my job with the state and moving 300 miles away.

Not everyone willing to do that.
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 13, 2005, 06:48 PM
    But how do you know its safe to online date? I mean lets say I met this nice guy named Burt and I go to meet Burt and lo and behold Burt is a huge manish biker chick who wants a piece of my action. How do you do make sure you are safe?
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2005, 01:15 AM
    Now what is wrong with a huge biker chick?

Safety is an issue with online dating. My advice on that would go with a friend. Have your friend hang out in the background and always meet in a public place. And make sure your friend has a cell phone, that would help speed things along if something was to go wrong.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 14, 2005, 05:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by crankiebabie
    But how do you know its safe to online date? I mean lets say I met this nice guy named Burt and I go to meet Burt and lo and behold Burt is a huge manish biker chick who wants a piece of my action. How do you do make sure you are safe?
    Apparently one of you lied about your background, but kept the online chatting interesting enough. There always is a chance for fraudulent information when not face to face, but not all people are dishonest, thank godness. I've met some pretty shadey characters in real life who put on a good show too. No matter what route you take to meet new people, you still always have a choice of what to do with the information you receive. With online dating, you have the advantage of not accepting any more mails, but with real people, there is a threat of stress and stalking, therefore pros and cons are everywhere.

We don't know what's inside until we open it. Happy Holidays!

Dec 22, 2005, 05:17 PM
    Thank you
    Hello to all.
    I wanted to reply to you and say a big thank you all for your advice but I am having trouble logging into the 'rating link'. So I’ll do it here – Thank You! Happy Holidays to you :)

Dec 22, 2005, 05:28 PM
    Rating post
    I've got it, I can only rate one post per person even if there is more than one reply from them:o

Dec 22, 2005, 06:10 PM
    Revised online dating profile
    Hi,
    Well folks. Please see below revised version taking account of your advice. What do you think? Should I add what it is that I am looking for in them?

Tag Line:
    Free, single and young at heart

My Profile:
    I am content with what I have: my own home, a 6-year-old son, good friends, a job that I enjoy (I work for the Health Service) but I am missing that special someone to share it with me. I love meeting new people and experiencing new things. My friends tell me I am kind, laid back, friendly, caring and sincere.

General Interests:
    I like visiting new places as well as cosy nights in with TV (comedies, classic black and white films), I like going to the movies. I like most music but especially R and B

I don't read newspapers or magazines but occasionally I do like to read a good book, just finished the Da Vinci Code.

I love spending time with my son, day trips; to seaside (live 9 miles from coast), museums, parks, and walks. I like to keep fit and my son and I go swimming regularly.

I have travelled most of Europe including driving from England to Pakistan. I would like to visit USA, Canada, and Australia.

I have tried flying lessons but found it boring – what do you do or see once you’re in the sky? Answer, nothing but look at your ‘instruments’ (no pun intended) and watch out for other planes. Trust me it’s boring! That’s not to say I’m a thrill seeker, I’m not.
    Expert

Dec 22, 2005, 06:44 PM
    Dating
    Yes there are strange people, and hopefully some of the people I dated online did not rate me up to the strange level. I meet one lady who was a witch ( was going to put some love potion on me or something)

Another had ( well sexual pervisions past my level of acceptance)

Another forgot to metion a large husband at home

Another one forgot to mention her girlfriend at home

But when chatting on line, chat for a couple of months at least before meeting, you will know more about each other ( if both are truthful) than several years of dating.

But for male or female, do the first date in a public place, meet at a restaurant or some place where you will not be alone, just meet there, don't go to each others home. That is how my wife and I meet.

For the ladies I have always held a double standard, the ladies should not tell the men where they live for their own safety and a slight lie on your real last name is not really wrong either to protect your safety.

Now for the men, I always tell the ladies if you don't have a home phone and a work phone, assume the man is married, sadly there are 1000's of mairred men looking for some "wild sex". And other perverts looking for stalking women. But there are lots of great men out there online also.

Professional men you may not meet at the local pub.
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2005, 09:18 PM
    Ok, here are my thots:

Tag Line:

I take it you are over 40? Sinde saying young at heart, means that you are old agewise I take it.

General Interests:
    I like visiting new places as well as cosy nights in with TV (comedies, classic black and white films), AND I like going to the movies. I like most music but especially R and B

Add the word AND

I don't read newspapers or magazines but occasionally I do like to read a good book, just finished the Da Vinci Code.

Take out "I don't read newspapers or magazines but occasionally". Don't list all of your faults up front.

I have tried flying lessons but found it boring – what do you do or see once you're in the sky? Answer, nothing but look at your 'instruments' (no pun intended) and watch out for other planes. Trust me it's boring! That's not to say I'm a thrill seeker, I'm not.

Hahahha, funny. I like it. But take out "me it's boring! That's not to say I'm a thrill seeker, I'm not." That just over killed it.
    Expert

Dec 22, 2005, 10:00 PM
    Meet
    You meet a guy at walmart and he gives you his number,

You meet a guy at the tennis court

You meet a guy at??

You really don't know any of them, you may know what he looks like, but not if he is a serial killer, married to two ladies in Utah and one in Missour that you don't know about
    He may like wearing ladies underwear

With any relationship you let it grow. Don't move fast, and let him start giving you more and more info about hisself.

Then keep the first date at a safe location. Not a dark night club but a well light and well security locaton. With Toni we meet for dinner at a place in a down town building that had its own secuity personal.

Toni did not know it, but the lady security guard there "liked me" and she gave me her number just in case my date with Toni had not worked out.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 24, 2005, 03:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rauf
    Hi,
    Well folks. Please see below revised version taking account of your advice. What do you think? Should I add what it is that I am looking for in them?

Tag Line:

My Profile:
    I am content with what I have: my own home, a 6-year-old son, good friends, a job that I enjoy (I work for the Health Service) but I am missing that special someone to share it with me. I love meeting new people and experiencing new things. My friends tell me I am kind, laid back, friendly, caring and sincere.

General Interests:
    I like visiting new places as well as cosy nights in with TV (comedies, classic black and white films), I like going to the movies. I like most music but especially R and B

I love spending time with my son, day trips; to seaside (live 9 miles from coast), museums, parks, and walks. I like to keep fit and my son and I go swimming regularly.

I have travelled most of Europe including driving from England to Pakistan. I would like to visit USA, Canada, and Australia.

I have tried flying lessons but found it boring – what do you do or see once you’re in the sky? Answer, nothing but look at your ‘instruments’ (no pun intended) and watch out for other planes. Trust me it’s boring! That’s not to say I’m a thrill seeker, I’m not.
    With our without the suggested corrections, this is far better than what you had at first. I sincerely hope you find the right person to share life with you and your son. Good luck and Happy Holidays!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Online Dating [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone have any experience with online dating?  Does it work well?  In particular, has anyone tried www.online-dating-personals.com ? Thanks

Dating online [ 10 Answers ]

Hello All, I have recently started to correspond with a Russian lady. The more I think about it the more apprehensive I get. After the physical appearance (I have to fancy someone in the first place), I am trying to consider the personal compatibility (psychological, emotional, type traits). I...

Advice on online dating sites [ 2 Answers ]

Hey everybody, I need some advice on what dating service I should sign up, looking around a found a couple of few sites like www.plentyofish.com and www.online4love.com as free sites. Anyone have any luck with free sites in the past. There are so many sites out there which ones are the best to...

From dating to friends to dating? [ 3 Answers ]

Here's my problem. I met this guy about 9 months ago. After only going out a couple of times we started dating. It only lasted for about a month and he ended it saying he didn't think we had enough in common. Since then we have become best friends and spend a lot of time together. But we are...

View more questions Search