Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BROWNIE1969 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2007, 07:29 PM
    Insurance claim
    Home was loss in a fire, the contractor say it will cost 102,068.60 to repair we want to demolish and take a cash settlement. The insurance is more then what the thouse is worth. We bought the house for half the repair cost, how would the insurance company handle this?
    angel0772001 Posts: 233, Reputation: 7

Dec 7, 2007, 07:30 PM
    How much did you insure the house for??
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 7, 2007, 07:50 PM
    I'm not getting your question. Have you talked to your insurance agent?

Dec 7, 2007, 08:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I'm not getting your question. Have you talked to your insurance agent?

how will the insurance company come up with a settlement if it going to cost more to rebuild then what the house was valued at.

Dec 7, 2007, 08:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by angel0772001
    how much did you insure the house for???

The house was insured for 186,000, and its going to cost 102,068.60 to repair.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 7, 2007, 08:39 PM
    If the house was insured for more than the cost to repair the carrier will commission an construction estimate to replace what you had. I dou bt if they will pay more than that. It would depend on what your policy says.
    angel0772001 Posts: 233, Reputation: 7

Dec 7, 2007, 08:53 PM
    Then they will probably total it out. I used to work for state farm. What is your insurance company
    Dbuck Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2007, 01:23 PM
    if it is truly a homeowers policy the market value is irrelevant. The policy should be written on a replacement cost basis. The actual settlement may vary considerably from state to state as policies are different in different states due to insurance law in each individual state. Obviously if it is cheaper to repair the home than to rebuild it they are going to repair it. That is what they owe you. To put you back into the same condition you were in before the loss occurred.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 11, 2007, 05:20 PM
    They will most likely offer the cost to rebuild, minus any value of the property unrepaired.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trouble getting insurance claim paid for routine medical procedure [ 25 Answers ]

I have a bit of a problem, due to family history (1 cousin had colon cancer and my father died from it), I was sent to have a colonoscopy at 45 by my primary care physician. That was 3 weeks ago and the insurance company which is a PPO by the way not an HMO has refused payment, not just once but...

Uncertain about what I should do regarding insurance claim [ 1 Answers ]

I have attempted to file a homeowner liability claim under my neighbor's policy, but have not been successful in doing so. As of right now, I am being told that the homeowner have filed a claim due to my damages, therefore, I can not file a claim under their insurance. My questions are: 1). Can...

Auto Insurance Claim [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question regarding a fender bender I was in, more so the claim. I was found not at fault by the other party’s insurance company and they are paying for the repair to my 2007 VW Jetta. But what concerns me is my vehicle is only three months old and now has a history of an...

Quit Claim or Quick Claim [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference between a Quit Claim and a Quick Claim? Also, the last year of my mothers life she was very ill and lived with me, she signed her house over to me . Now I am going to sell it, do I have to pay taxes on the money I receive? I have heard if you are over a certain age you do not...

Before going in to talk with ICBC Insurance claim [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have this debt with ICBC that is well over 200,000 due to injury claim pay out, not mine I never claimed, I crashed my dads truck about 9 years ago result my dad got paid out, then year or so later my "friend" got paid out and I got a bill for them both, since then I have gotten letters on a...

View more questions Search