Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    messenger Posts: 18, Reputation: 0

Dec 7, 2007, 01:18 PM
    What punishment or verdict will I get for doing shoplifting worth 150$
    I rently got arrested for shoplifting items worth 150$ . I have not got the court date yet and I'm an immigrant and waiting for renewing my visa status next year. Now tat I got arrestedwill that be a trouble in entering the US again or gettig visa renewed... and do anyone know what will be the common verdict or fine... will it lead to imprisonment?? I very much regret for my mistake and it was so insane doing such an action. I don't have an attorney hired yet... I thought I will appear in the court on the date tat I will recive, and tell the judge tat I did shoplifting. Is pleading guilty more trouble for rme, and is it going to put me in jail?? please someone adivise... please
    Shearl Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2007, 01:35 PM
    All states are different but here in Wv they make u pay back double the amount stollen and court costs, it is not a felony,( the amount 150.00 )Thank GOD for that and as here you can set up payments monthly or weekly .The best of luck to you, and also that's if you don't have any other arrest, You can call the court house where you live they will tell you just make sure you show up for your court date!:)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 7, 2007, 01:37 PM
    As noted, laws and sentencing varies. But being someone here on a Visa, there is a good possibility your visa won't be renewed.

Dec 7, 2007, 01:55 PM
    So you mean to say that even if I talk to the judge and the curt date na dsay him how regretful I feel having done this and so on, there will not be any chances for me to enter th US again... evn its quoted under petty offence

Dec 7, 2007, 02:00 PM
    No I did not say that. I said there is a "good possibility". That means the odds are that it will happen, but its by no means certain.

Dec 7, 2007, 02:02 PM
    But how do I go about finding a lawyer. Can I call the court in the communty I belong to and ask for any lawyer help or how does it work?

Dec 7, 2007, 02:05 PM
    Open the phone book

Dec 7, 2007, 02:41 PM
    Can you please explain a little more in detail... I don't how hwo to find a good lawyer who could help me... im just scred what if I find a lwyer who is bad, I loose the case, they take me to jail or so... but still end up paying the lawyer...

Dec 7, 2007, 02:47 PM
    Look in the yellow pages and go talk to several lawyers, Pick one you feel comfortable with.

Dec 7, 2007, 03:58 PM
    Thakyou for your advise
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2007, 04:38 PM
    Buddy... you keep asking the same question over and over.

I've already told you that YOU need to own this. Open the phone book. Make some calls.

I PM'd you several times... and now its all the same stuff again.

What have you done so far? Did you follow any of the leads I gave you?

Don't waste the time of the people here if you are not willing to do some work yourself.

Dec 9, 2007, 12:07 AM
    Hi kp2171, I'm all very confused and tat is wats making me ask it more in detail... anwyas thanks for your gudiance so far and help... hav fixed appmt to see a criminal defence lawyer on this week... but I guess he is kind of little expensive... he asks 500$ and says he wld finish the case in the 2nd sitting. I'm not able to decide to believe him or not... after the 3rd siting he charges an hourly rate... will th attorneys make way for getting money by streching the case even after the 3rd sitting... jsut to make money... becz I don't have that kind of money...
    And he also says , there is no need to pay the fine amt what the jcp guys will send in the mail... wil this cause me more troble and will jcp take the case to the court for getting the amount?? Plaease advise... waiting for your reply
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2007, 05:33 AM
    Hello m:

If you have a lawyer, do what he tells you, or hire another lawyer.

excon

Dec 10, 2007, 07:59 AM
    Hi
    I was also caught and arretsted for sholifting in jcp store in Texas... what I want to know is , is civil demand the fine tat the jcp will send me in mail or something else?? But when I spoke to my laywer, he said ta jcp has a wrong law like this and you do not have to pay for any charges they send you in the mail for they also took the possession of the clothes wroth 160$ tat I shoplifted.
    I'm so confused and do not know what should be done... should I pay the charge/ fine tat the jcp asks or just leave it like the lawyer said... I don't have much money to pay... but at the same time I don't want to ignore the jcp fines against me and at the end up paying more... can someone help me wit a advise please,. im so confused...

Dec 10, 2007, 08:05 AM
    Again, if you have a lawyer listen to him.

Dec 10, 2007, 08:32 AM
    But as I was reading through the posting in ths site, I read through one perosn who said not ever to ignore the fines tat the jcp or the shoplifting store asks for... for it will lead to more and more accumulation of fines with the court costs and even the stores attorneys cost evything which will be borne by me... or the shoplifters in general...
    Already I sont have enough money to cover the fess of attoney and the fines that the court is going to levy on me... so I was really confused whether to ignore the letter tat jcp is going to send me... and I also read , ince they will have the video tapes taken for evidencce their case will win and v end up paying more... is it true..?

Dec 10, 2007, 11:01 AM
    What to do if the store asks to pay , in the mail?
    I was recently caught and arested for shoplifting at jcp store in a mall here in Texas. I wa told by the LP guy tat a mail will be sent to pay the amount with fines for the items tat I shoplifted.. it was worth 150$. I hired a cirmial defence attorney and he said since the store took possession of items I need not pay for the amount they send in the mail.
    I read through the postings and there was one perosn who said not ever to ignore the fines tat the jcp or the shoplifting store asks for... for it will lead to more and more accumulation of fines with the court costs and even the stores attorneys cost evything which will be borne by me... or the shoplifters in general...
    Already I sont have enough money to cover the fess of attoney and the fines that the court is going to levy on me... so I was really confused whether to ignore the letter tat jcp is going to send me... and I also read , ince they will have the video tapes taken for evidencce their case will win and v end up paying more... is it true..?

{threads combined-<>}

Dec 10, 2007, 11:42 AM
    What to do if I get abill frm the store? Should I ignore?
    I was recently caught for shoplifting in Texas. I'm here on a dependent visa.I really don't know what made me do shoplifting.this is my first time and I got caught. I stole earing and clothes worth 150$ and I was arrested and taken to jail . But was out on bail by nght. I feel really very ashamed of myself for what I have done and I regreting about it every single second . Can eat or sleep well. All my peace of mind got ruined by that silly maddness act of mine. I'm still waitng to apear in the court and waiting for the letter which will tell my date of appearing in the court. I'm so sacred and I don't know what to tel the judge. I wannted to plead to him how regretful I feel . But I'm not sure whether he will just warn me and let me go .
    I was readig through the post and there was one perosn who said not ever to ignore the fines tat the jcp or the shoplifting store asks for... for it will lead to more and more accumulation of fines with the court costs and even the stores attorneys cost evything which will be borne by me... or the shoplifters in general...
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2007, 11:49 AM
    Contact the store management. Offer to pay them for their costs involved. Express true regret about your actions.

Dec 10, 2007, 11:56 AM
    Please do not keep starting new threads with basically the same issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much is a 1925 penny worth with one cent and a wheat on the back worth [ 3 Answers ]

How much is a one cent with a wheat on back is worth from 1925

What punishment? [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: hi I am wondering what will happen if someone was working at the bank and stoled 1000.00 dollars from the draw and was set a court date what going to happen to them

Punishment for Sickness [ 5 Answers ]

Can my company punish me for being off sick if I provide sick notes and hospital appointment letters as evidence?

The right punishment [ 7 Answers ]

My friend's daughter started a web-site on Xanga and put quote's about suicide, that she got off a suicide web page, into her profile. I think that this is a big red flag but he believed her when she told him it was her friend's idea. He had previously told her not to ever start a web site on...

View more questions Search