Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pttreeman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2007, 11:16 AM
    Thermostat displays AC when heat is on
    My Honeywell Chronotherm III thermostat is set on heat and it blows hot for a while then the LCD says "HEAT - AC" and it starts to blow cold. Then it goes back to blowing hot then back to cold, etc. the thermostat clicks continuously as this happens. Help
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 7, 2007, 11:34 AM
    Remove from wall and also remove batteries. Wait 15 minutes to let the capacitors loose there charge. Then replace the batteries with new ones and remount to the wall.

If this does not clear the processor then the thermostat is defective. NOTE that thermostat is no longer available but there are other Honeywells that have taken its place. I have 3 zones in my main house and I have 3 thermostats just like you have but I have had to replace 2 of them over the past 20 years. Lucky for me I had a HVAC shop and stocked a few extras for my home as spares. Good luck.
    pttreeman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2007, 12:13 PM
    Thanks I will try it. I replaced the batteries yesterday but did not wait 15 minutes as you suggested. I'll let you know if it works

Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    Remove from wall and also remove batteries. Wait 15 minutes to let the capacitors loose there charge. Then replace the batteries with new ones and remount to the wall.

If this does not clear the processor then the thermostat is defective. NOTE that thermostat is no longer available but there are other Honeywells that have taken its place. I have 3 zones in my main house and I have 3 thermostats just like you have but I have had to replace 2 of them over the past 20 years. Lucky for me I had a HVAC shop and stocked a few extras for my home as spares. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Heat pump thermostat Aux. Light is going on when no resistance heat used. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Maple Chase SaverStat thermostat on a Lenox heat pump. The thermostat and heat pump are ten years old. Recently when the heat pump comes on the Aux. light on the thermostat also goes on (not the emergency heat light). I have checked and the auxiliary heat strips and they are not heating...

New Thermostat.No heat. [ 2 Answers ]

I recently replaced my old thermostat for a new prgramable Noma which I couldn't get to work. After reading a few comments of similar situations with Noma, I exchaged for a Honeywell (model RTH4300B). I am in the same spot. There are only two wires coming oput of the wall. I connected the wite to...

Heat/ac thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mechanical thermostat, when you set it at the temp you want say 70 degrees, it will not kick the a/c at that temp, you have to manually move the temp setting to about 85 degrees. The cooling works fine it just will not kick off. I have cleaned the thermostat what should I try next?

Thermostat heat/ac [ 5 Answers ]

I think the control inside your home that turns Heat and A.C up and down is called a thermostat. Having said that I wanted to know if it is a big job to replace one? The one I have is only about 2 years old but it never worked right and I want to replace this one myself. I do a lot of things...

View more questions Search