Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicolaa Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2007, 10:00 AM
    Kidney Infection - no insurance? What to do?
    I have had about 3 kidney infections in the past 5 years... ive been hospitalized once for a severe case, and the other 2 where minor.
    I currently don't have any health insurance - I have am in pain again and I know its another kidney infection - I've been drinking water and cranberry juice a lot to try to help it. It seems like its not getting worse, but not better either.

My question is - does anyone know of any natural remedy I can use?
    If I go see a doctor, is this going to cost me hundreds upon hundreds of dollars that I don't have?
    Do doctors see you without insurance?
    If I go to a hospital _ which I prefer not to_ and then apply for medicaid, does medicaid pay for old bills? DO they only pay for hospital bills or will they pay for a private docotors bills?

If I keep flushing my system wth cranberry and water - what are the chances of the infection going away?

Any help is appreciated
    Stephieee Posts: 34, Reputation: 7

Dec 7, 2007, 10:11 AM
    I'm pretty sure that supermarkets sell uti remedies/medicines. Is it already a full blown kidney infection? If you need to see a doctor, go to a medical clinic (find one in yellow pages). They are designed for people without insurance and it will be the cheapest. Do not go to the hospital if you don’t have to- that is the most expensive.

In the future, since you have so many kidney infections, you may want to get some insurance. Then you can have the doctor figure out why you have them so frequently.

As for the Medicaid, they don’t pay off old bills.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 7, 2007, 10:33 AM
    There is nothing over the counter to cure a kidney infection as it is typically caused by bacteria and that needs to be eradicated with antibiotics.

Have you considered going to your local health department? That may be an avenue that works well for you.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2007, 01:09 PM
    It does sound like you need to seek professional medical help. There are many clinics and hospitals that have what they call, "charity programs", that people can apply to reduce their bill or even wipe their bill off the records. I have had to do that, since I do not have insurance. Some hospitals, depending on where you live, may still have the
    Hill-Burton Act - worth checking into. If nothing else, you just have to make payment arrangements. But whatever you do, you do need to see a doctor for this. Left untreated, could lead to complications.
    KravJeff Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Dec 8, 2007, 08:39 PM
    Find a way to see a doc and / or pay for antibiotics - soon! If the infection becomes systemic (enters your blood stream) not only does the likelihood of cost go waaaayyyy up, but so does the risk of death.

Bacterial infections are not to be treated lightly and hope is not an effective clinical strategy.

Go to your county hospital / clinic and do the medicare/medicade thing if you have to... If you go to an emergency room, especially if you're in an area that has a facility that regularly treats indigent folks, they won't turn you away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kidney stones [ 16 Answers ]

My friend has kindney stones,can anyone help me with a treatment for them?

Kidney infection? [ 2 Answers ]

I have pain in my right side and sometimes it hurts towards the stomach and towards the back... I went to the doctors, and they said it could be kidney stones or a kidney infection, they gave me pills for it, and I just finished talking them and yet it still hurtss.. sometimes the pain is even in...

Kidney stones [ 6 Answers ]

Tell me why does kidney stone cause a fever in medical logical answer I want medical answe I,e what happens inside the body makes sweating in kidney stones

Kidney scarring [ 0 Answers ]

My husband has been ill with a bad flu and probably hooping cough. Recently he had blood in his urine and tests are being done. The doctor thinks its possibly a reaction to strong antiobiotics but that's before all tests are done. Today he got back x-rays which show that one kidney is...

View more questions Search