Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Don Juan Be Rich Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2007, 07:49 AM
    Vent popping sounds
    We are renovating a mobile home and we have noticed a pooping noise which happens every 6 to 10 seconds. During the winter months this is loud enough to keep us awake at night as the vent goes through the wall beside our bedroom. We are just finishing the kitchen and the sink is not connected at this time. Would the attachment of the sink create a " closed system" which would stop this noise or is it something else?
    Thanks!!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 7, 2007, 09:39 AM
    I would love to be there to test my theory but I think your vent is venting warm air to the outside. The warm air allows expansion of the vent pipe, usually PVC. Try plugging the vent temporarily to stop the air flow.
    Don Juan Be Rich Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2007, 10:56 PM
    One idea from a local expert is that a vacuum is created in the mobile home. When we moved here there wasn't a cold air return attached to the furnace. When the furnace is not working though, the popping sound still happens. This could be attributed to this same theory. Any thoughts?
    Thanks DJ
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 11, 2007, 07:06 AM
    Knocking, popping, creaking and crackling pipes are a common complaint, especially in colder weather. I can tell you what's happening and take the mystery out of it but you're not going to like the repair. When a draw is made on a hot water line the line expands against a pipe strap next to a stud and when you drain hot water from your tub or shower it goes into a chase that is a little cooler then room temperature. The heat expands the pipe causing it to rub against the stud to which it is pipe strapped. This is the sound you hear. As it cools it contracts and the noise is heard again. To repair it you must tear open the walls and locate the pipe strap that's causing the problem and shim it tight. Most people when they learn what causes it just elect to live with it. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laundry Pump vent hookup. How? - no vent access [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Laundry Tray Pump System connected to my wash tub in my fifteen year old townhome's basement. I was recently informed that it was not properly installed because I never connected the vent pipe from the pump. I had some one look at it and was told that the house's vent system (which...

Distance from Tub/Lav vent to main vent. [ 1 Answers ]

Referring to the attached sketch, The existing sink drain has a vent that serves both it and the tub. When I relocate my sink, it adds about 4 more feet of length to the distance between the sink/tub vent and the main waste vent. This effectively makes it 10 feet. I believe this is likely too far...

Vent diagram - does this meet code (see pic)? Vent runs below actual drain [ 4 Answers ]

The schematic below should make it clear the configuration I would like to use. Basically, I would like to keep the vent under the floor for a little ways, so it pops up in a better location. I cannot easily move the 2" drain location going down and would rather not go straight up from the...

Wet Vent Lav with Shower Vent [ 1 Answers ]

You mention many times that you can wet vent your shower by attaching it to your vented lav drain. Are there any problems doing it the other way around, venting your lav by attaching it to your vented shower drain?

Connecting dryer vent to bathroom vent? [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone out there know if I can connect my dryer vent to my bathroom vent using a t-connection? Thanks Me

View more questions Search