Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 12, 2005, 12:22 PM
    Evil spyware
    I have decided to run some tests of the main spyware removal tools:
    Adaware, spybot, xoftspy, Micro$oft AS, trend housecall, etc.

So what do you consider the worest spy/ad/malware out there?

Also are there any other tools I should try? :D
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2005, 12:42 PM
    Microsoft seems to have a solid product but for 2 aspects:
    a) they have reduced the severity factors for a few malware signatures (not sure if they got bullied or if they are in partership with them)
    b) they don't have a really have a good stealth mode for installations on computers where the user would not be sure how to answer the pop-up prompts

Spybot is good for the immunize feature and for some of the Advanced tools (viewing BHOs, startup files, ActiveX components, etc.)

I haven't used AdAware in a while but friends use it in conjunction with SpyBot for complete removal of malware.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2005, 02:01 PM
    I seem to remember that Morpheus is chock full of nasty spyware and adware if you want to go out and catch some stuff for testing purposes.

Frankly, I rely fairly heavily on PCMag and CDNet for reviews... and use also use both Spybot and Adaware since they get rated so highly.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2005, 02:22 AM
    Few ideas at the top of this article:

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/articles/W...e_and_Spyware/
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2005, 06:07 AM
    Spyware programs
    Hi,
    I use and really like the free SpyWare Blaster; similar to the Microsoft Anti-Spyware program
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

I haven't had ANY spyware get into the computer since using SpyWare Blaster. It also has "live updates".
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 13, 2005, 06:11 AM
    Guys I really need more sources of drive-by infection, I think I have enough apps to test now.
    Thanks

Fred I can really use Spyware blaster as I'm looking to test removal programs, not ones that stop it in the first place.
    I will give it a go tho' just out of interest.

The box I have setup has NO firewall, antivirus or antispyware on it at all.
    I need to sort out a controlled set of malware to infect it with and try out all the scanners.
    So MORE spyware please
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Dec 13, 2005, 09:31 AM
    This site has an encyclopedia of parasites:

http://www.2-spyware.com/

Any Use?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evil desires [ 10 Answers ]

I have been a self mutilator for about 10 years (I'm 22), I have been married for 17 months and have not cut myself since a little while before. I am also 35 weeks pregnant. My husband and I barely have a relationship because all he does is sit on his computer and tonight I caught my husband...

My home is evil? [ 25 Answers ]

I live with my partner in our new home, an apartment in aberdeen scotland near a river. When we moved in it was great but we soon noticed some very abnormal things. The taps would just come on, items would fly off the shelfs and electrical appliances would turn off and on. We just laughed it...

Evil old navy... [ 3 Answers ]

I was just wondering if anyone knows the name of the song in the new old navy commercial "spring loves stripes". A woman sings it and the chorus goes " daddio, daddio" a few times... Its stuck in my head for hours after I see the commercial so I figure it would make sense for me to at least know...

PurityScan... Spyware or nor Spyware? [ 5 Answers ]

On my computer this screen popped up and it said it was ready to install Purityscan wich I had no intention of installing. Sure it might be a good program, then again it might not be for the simple fact is that somehow it or something put a reg key on my computer. Normally I would know what it's...

Autoruns - spyware question, Delete spyware with "Autoruns", back again [ 3 Answers ]

I am using "autoruns", hoping to get rid of many spyware programs. I am attempting to manually remove some of the spyware (while not connected to internet) startup files along with corresponding registry file using "autoruns" . Problem is when I restart "autoruns" the spyware files have returned. ...

View more questions Search