Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ginny showalter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2007, 09:14 PM
    A fathers rights after adoption?
    My boyfriends exgirlfriend had a child and had another man sign his rights away knowing he wasn't the father. My boyfriend had to get a lawyer to find out he was 99.9% the father. After that it went to court. He wanted to get his daughter back. After two court dates the adoptive parents stepped out saying they didn't see any light at the end of the tunnel. They went back to court to see who the baby should be placed with the mother or the father? The mother chose that he get temporary custody of the baby that day instead of fighting for her. He had custody of her for a month when the judge gave the baby back to the mother after hearing several testimonies on how bad of a mother she was with her first child. They told the judge my boyfriend was into drugs and always in trouble. Hes been on probation for two years and has never had a dirty drop and hasn't been in any trouble. My boyfriend would have gladdly taken a drug test that day. His ex lawyer even came and got in his face trying to get him to loose his temper and hit him, but he walked away. Then next court date the judge wanted to hold him in contempt even though it was the lawyer who did it. The judge didn't like him from the beginning he's only nineteen and the judge feels he's not mature enough to have the baby. Even though it is snowing right now and she's out peeling around town with the infant in the back seat. We are worried about her safety and her well being. Do we have the right to appeal? The mother had already signed her rights away. Why should she be able to step back in and get custody? Apparently she didn't want her or she wouldn't have put her up for adoption.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 6, 2007, 11:29 PM
    Get a better lawyer.

If she signed her rights away, and committed perjury by naming a different man as the father to get the adoption to go through, I find it strange that a judge would award her custody. SHE must have had a heck of a lawyer.

If your boyfriend really wants his daughter, he'll pay through the nose for a great lawyer, because I'm afraid after that many court hearings, that's what it's going to take.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adoption or terminating fathers rights [ 8 Answers ]

My son's biological father isn't around. He hasn't called in 15 months. He hasn't used a visitation in 26 months. He hasn't paid child support in just over 16 months. Can my current husband adopt my son without consent of his biological father? Is there a way to terminate his parental rights? I...

Termination of fathers rights/adoption [ 5 Answers ]

i am the mother of 2 children ages 5 and 2 1/2 they haven't seen their biological father in over 17 months thats his own fault he could've seen them he hardly pays his child support and when he does he only has to pay 72.00 per week which is nothing really my 5 year old doesn't want to see him and...

Fathers rights [ 4 Answers ]

Can I relinquish my parental rights to a child who I adopted prior to the marriage?

A fathers rights [ 1 Answers ]

For a man who is legally married but not living with his wife because of her decision what rights can he enforce and what course of action does he need to pursue legally to prevent her from getting an annulment preventing him from seeing his child till partenity is established the child is still...

Fathers rights PLEASE HELP! [ 4 Answers ]

I have a friend that is living with his girlfriend he is supporting her, her son from a previous relationship and now their son they have together. He is on the birth certificate and is an active father. He is wanting to take his son to a funeral out of town for a family member, girlfriend is not...

View more questions Search