Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    finney10 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2005, 09:38 AM
    Renting Advise
    I have an option to live cheaply in my in-laws new home for a few years before they move down after retirement. I was thinking about renting out my house while doing so. The only problem is I would only be able to charge what I owe on my monthly mortgage. I would not be able to get much extra. How does renting change how I pay taxes? Would the $400 a month I save by staying at my in-laws be worth it after changing my house to a rental property? Thanks,
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2005, 09:55 AM
    If you are able to
    1) get good tenants, and
    2) deal with the maintenance issues,

Then I suggest keeping it and trying it for a year or so. The tax benefits are fantastic. You'll basically be able to show a loss for up to several years, the amount of which will be reduced from your regular income (I am speaking of US Taxes).
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 13, 2005, 07:55 AM
    Finney10:

What Rickj says is accurate, though there is actually no time restriction for claiming losses as he implied. There are passive loss restrictions, but only if your adjusted gross income exceeds a certain level (phase out begins at $100,000).

You need to report the rental income and all expenses on Schedule E. Even if your rent about covers your mortgage payment (which probably includes an insurance and tax payments paid out of escrow), you will still show a loss due to the depreciation writeoff.

The complexity of this process virtually demands that you use a tax professional to prepare your return. He may charge several hundred dollars to prepare the return, but it is money well spent to ensure the return is prepared correctly.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2005, 07:58 AM
    I was not implying a time limit on claiming a loss, but just pointing out that even if you do get a profit, because you are deducting the depreciation, that you will show a loss to the IRS... and likely for several or even many years.
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 13, 2005, 08:05 AM
    Sorry, no insult intended. That's just the way I read your input.

ATE
    finney10 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2005, 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks for all of your help.
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 13, 2005, 11:48 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renting a car [ 4 Answers ]

I want to drive from N.Y. to Florida is it a better ideal to rent a car for the week going that far or taking your own car? If so what are some of the advantages in renting a car for this long trip?

Renting in USA at 18y/o [ 3 Answers ]

I am only 18 and I want to rent a car in america. Ideally in Florida. In most states the minimum age is 21, what do you think is the best way of renting a car, so that I can drive around Florida. Are there any places that I would be able to rent a car at 18. Thnanks in advance!

Renting tax implications? [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to determine the feasibility of renting the house I own, given the tax/mortgage implications. Any help here would be appreciated! -I live in the state of MA. I believe I would have to pay tax on my rental income, could someone provide more details on that? e.g. my current monthly...

Tax implications of renting an apt in NJ vs NY? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, What are the tax implications of renting an apartment in NY vs NJ? (1) I will be working for a firm based in Manhattan. (2) Assuming my salary+bonus will be near 135K/yr I believe if I live in NY - I will have to pay federal, NY state, and NY city tax. If I live in NJ - I will have to...

View more questions Search