Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    messenger Posts: 18, Reputation: 0

Dec 6, 2007, 02:53 PM
    Does shoplifting lead to visa rejections when submitted for renewal
    Hi all
    I recenlty got arrested for shoplifting in Texas at jcp store for merchanise worth 160$. I have to renew my depended visa status I'm march'08.will this shoplifting be a problem for appoval of my visa? can't I enter the USA hereafter once my current visa is expired.?
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2007, 09:42 PM
    I think that criminal convictions may keep you from being able to renew your visa. The government doesn't really want to allow people here after they've committed crimes.

Dec 7, 2007, 09:52 AM
    But if I see a immigaration attorney then will tat help me in someway where it will permit me to enter the US again if I apply for renewing the visa?? Does this mean , even if I try getting visa to enter any onther country the consulate will know and will not perimit to enter any other country too??
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2007, 10:52 AM
    I'm not positive I'm just saying that even if you get a lawyer, and you get convicted, it may affect your getting a renewal.
    Stephieee Posts: 34, Reputation: 7

Dec 7, 2007, 11:14 AM
    Until you get convicted, its not really on the books. You are innocent until proven guilty. I don't really know how visas work, but if at all possible you should renew it ASAP, definitely before the trial.

If you have to wait until March of 08 to renew, a lawyer may be able to push your trial date back until after you renew the visa.
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2007, 05:25 PM
    Honestly I would hope the lawyer doesn't get the trial pushed back, it's a privilege to have the rights in this country and if you can't follow the rules you shouldn't be allowed to get any extra benefit.

And conviction or not, shoplifting drives up prices for everyone else, makes them think everyone is a suspect, andon top of that, there's almost no way to mistake someone for hoplifting if they're not.

Dec 11, 2007, 11:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephieee
    Until you get convicted, its not really on the books. You are innocent until proven guilty. I dont really know how visas work, but if at all possible you should renew it ASAP, definitely before the trial.

If you have to wait until March of 08 to renew, a lawyer may be able to push your trial date back until after you renew the visa.

I hired an attorney, who is a criminal defence lawyer and he said that it's a misdemanor B case and it will not be an issue. I am so confuesd wherther or not to hire another immigration lawyer, becz he is again going to ask another 500$.. which is really so expensive for me at this stage. My criminal lawyer said that, he will get me on probation for 6months and some classes and community service... does tat mean that I will not be convicted??
    If that's the case, then can just the Arrest be a trouble for gettting a visa to the US?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 11, 2007, 11:56 AM
    Again, you have an attorney LISTEN to him. If you have questions ASK HIM that's what you are paying for. It sounds like he may be able to get you off without a criminal record which shouldn't affect your Visa

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will shoplifting lead to visa rejection when it is applied for renewal [ 4 Answers ]

I was recently caught for shoplifting in Texas. I'm here on a dependent visa.I really don't know what made me do shoplifting.this is my first time and I got caught. I stole earing and clothes worth 150$ and I was arrested and taken to jail . But was out on bail by nght. I feel really very ashamed...

How thick is the lead in a lead joint [ 2 Answers ]

Im getting ready to take the Indiana pluming test and I was wanting to know how thick the lead Is suppose to be in the hub of the cast iron.

Can we cancel an already submitted 1040? [ 1 Answers ]

I am not sure if this had happened to anybody else before. I filed my federal tax twice... how do I go back and cancel one? Is there a way to do it

View more questions Search