Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    badsmell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2007, 01:45 PM
    Bad Smell in my house during fall and winter
    Hello.

I've lived in my house for 4 year and every year around fall, winter, and spring I get a bad sewage smell in my house. I smell it more at night time and in the morning. When I turn the heat on in my den it appears to smell worse. My house type is cape and was built in 1951 and uses a septic tank.

I was told to make sure that every unused sink or drain hole had water in it. This did not work. I was told to purchase sweatair filters and put them on the vent pipes on the roof. This did not work. My next step is to have the sanitation company come in a do a smoke test but they charge an arm and a leg to do the test.

Can I do my own smoke test. It does not sound like rocket science?
    If so, what do I need to get and where can I get it?

Any suggestion to what other steps I can take.

Thanks

BadSmell
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2007, 08:44 AM
    To do a smoke test you need a 12 gallon or more wet vac, a smoke bomb, a pie tin.
    Pull a toilet or even better find a cleanout plug. Plug or cap all roof vents. Seal all openings that do not have a trap. Put the smoke bomb in the wet vac on a pie tin and light it. Put the hose on the exhaust side of the wet vac and force the smoke into the system. Seal the hose from the vac with rags. Have another person walk around looking for smoke. The whole test takes about 20 minutes after you start pumping smoke into your system. May sure you check for multiple smoke leaks. Don't stop the test prematurely if you find one leak.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer smell in house [ 3 Answers ]

We have had a sewer smell in the house for a couple weeks which is getting worse. The smell is not coming directly from any toilet or sink drain. The smell comes and goes. It can be very strong or weak. The basement will smell, and then the smell will work it's way through the walls (the return...

Selling house: turn off water heater/water in winter [ 1 Answers ]

I am in mid-Michigan where winters can be long and cold. I am selling a house, which is vacant, and I am looking for advice on if I should drain the water pipes and turn off the gas water heater during the winter months. I would rather not pay high gas bills to heat water that I am not using. The...

Old house bad smell [ 1 Answers ]

HI! I have a problem. We live in a 200 year old farm house with the old dirt cellar. Recently we had central heat and air put in the house. When the duct work was done an awful smell came from the holes in the floor. It smells like something is dead down there. It is coming from the holes...

Smell of feces in house [ 2 Answers ]

There is a distinct smell of feces in certain parts of my house. It is most pronounced in the mud room but also in a cabinet in the kitchen that is on the other side of the wall from the bathroom. There is only a crawlspace under these two areas. I don't think there are any sewer pipes under the...

Sewer Smell in house [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting what appears to be a sewer smell in my house that seems to be coming up from the basement. I have filled all the traps and the smell continues, from where I cannot tell. Over the past few years I have had a different problem as well. Roots have apparently worked their way into the...

View more questions Search