Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fushichouryuuko Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2005, 09:58 PM
    Tai Chi Quan (Chuan)
    Okay! I was wondering if anyone knows the fighting portion of Tai Chi Quan? Is this style meant for fighting? I did a bunch of research and it seems that people are taught different forms for strengthen balance and focusing chi. Are you suppose to learn a different fighting style and incorporate Tai Chi with?

Oh and while you’re at it, does anyone know which would be the best style of Tai Chi? I heard

Cheng Style Tai Chi Chuan
    Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan
    Wu Style Tai Chi Chuan
    Wu Yuxiang Style Tai Chi Chuan
    Sun Style Tai Chi Chuan
    Five-Star Tai Chi

Am I missing one? Is there a particular style that’s set up for offense?

Dec 12, 2005, 11:23 AM
    Aikido
    Does anyone think Aikido and Tai Chi have something to do with each other? Are they related in some way? Is Aikido used for offense?
    A doubtful Brit Posts: 16, Reputation: 5

Mar 29, 2006, 07:16 AM
    I don't know much about Aikido, except that three years ago, I worked with a guy that did Aikido. Aikido seems to use both internal and external energies, where as Tai Chi only uses internal.

I have trained in Tai Chi for ten years, and to my knowledge, there is no style that is used for offence. If there is, then it has been adapted from an old style and wouldn't be an authentic style.

I train in Yang style because it is the easiest to learn, and all the nonence and insequential moves are removed. Every move and posture in the Yang form is important.

Try also looking up Baguazhang or Pa kua Chang. They are both the same martial art. Depending on which chinese language system is used, depends on its pronunciation and spelling.

This is still and internal martial art and only defensive, but it is incredible to watch. And everything I've read about it makes it seem a formidable form of defence. Try watching the Jet Li film 'The One' In one of the earlier scenes when he gets back home, he goes into a little room with lit candles. He practices Baguazhang. And in the big fight scene at the end with himself. The good Jet Li uses Baguazhang. The bad Jet Li uses Hsing I (again another internal art and one of the oldest)
    Living in the UK doesn't give me much scope on finding instructors of these wonderful martial arts. If I had a choice I would train in Baguazhang. But the closest I can get is Tai Chi. When I say closest, I mean and internal art.

What is and internal martial art I hear you cry.

External means musclular energy. The stronger you are, the more powerful your strikes, grappling and blocks will be.

Internal doesn't rely on how big your muscles are. It uses internal energy called chi and is much stronger than external.
    You could be a weedy, puny, matchstick of a guy. And come up against Hulk Hogan. But if you can master an internal art. Hogan won't have a chance.

So my advice to you. Go with Baguazhang if you can. If not, Yang style Tai Chi.

Try these two links. They are two of the three top indtructors of Yang stle Tai Chi in the world. The other one lives in London UK, and is my instructor. All three train under Mary Yang, who is a direct bloodline of the Yang family.
    Trust me, these guys know there stuff.

http://www.cataichi.com/html/Contact.html

http://www.ritaichi.com/
    Style Posts: 48, Reputation: 7

Mar 29, 2006, 09:26 PM
    I'd actually recommend Hsing I,it's more linear whereas Bagua is circular and supposedly if you can hold each stance in it for 49 breaths you should theoretically have the ability to rip apart a greyhound bus,my only reason for picking that over bagua would just be you may not have the space to do the circular motions if you're interested in it for self defense (say if you got cornered in the hall),however that's not necessarily true (I know capeoria (sp?) guys who can do like 4 ft circular stances). Just some food for thought.

Apr 13, 2006, 10:58 PM
    Okay! With further research, I learned that Xingyiquan (Hsing I Chuan), Baguazhang (Pa Kua Chang), and Taijiquan (Tai Chi Chuan) are the three major internal Chinese martial arts. I hear a lot about Tai Chi, but the other two that you both mentioned seem to be really rare. I heard that whoever teaches it only show the arts to dedicated student. I also don’t know anyone who teaches those two styles near my location. Anyone know of any places in the United States?

Hsing I and Baguazhang are styles that may be use in combat. Can Tai Chi also be used in combat? >_< Why are the first two so hard to find?

Apr 18, 2006, 07:52 AM
    Tai Chi was developed primarily for use in combat, self defence.
    The health benefits you gain from the practice of Tai Chi are more of a by-product and was not immediately realised until those that practiced it became far more healthy that those that didn't.

One of the best things about Tai Chi is that of its age. It can be traced as far back as 1279 to a guy named Chang San-feng a taoist priest. But some believe it could go further back than that.

I enjoy the philosophy and history of Tai Chi as much as the training, and find it all fascinating. To think that you are practising the same thing as people did over 8oo years ago is astounding.

I believe that Tai Chi is the supreme ultimate martial art, and that it is perfect in every way, if done properly. It is very important that you find a competent instructor. See my previous submission for two websites, these are great instructors and both live in the US. Also buy this book:

Tai Chi The supreme ultimate. By Lawrence Galante.

Its gives an in depth look at Tai Chi, but don't use this to learn from. You do need an instructor for this.

If you do start classes and decide on the Yang style, then also buy this:

Tai Chi Chuan Martial Applications. By Dr.Yang, Jwing-Ming.

It's a fantastic supplement to your training.And gives a fab insite into the martial art applications of Tai Chi.

Yes, Baguazhang and Hsing I are harder to find instructors for. Just because there are not many instructors outside of China and Hong Kong. I think that this would have been the case for Tai Chi also if it hadn't been for Yang Ch'eng Fu, who cut out a lot of movements deemed unecesery, and so shortening the form from 30 minutes to only 15 minutes. Making it more accesable to westerners.

Apr 24, 2006, 03:39 AM
    -_- Even though the links that you provided me says they have classes in the US, they're still too far away for me to attend. I wish I had a private jet to wisk me over for daily classes, but I could dream on.

Yes, I agree that Tai Chi is a fascinating art! Actually, I think the internal arts in general are spectacular! They said that the 3 mentioned internal arts above actually should come in a package. You should learn Hsing I when you're young (age 35 and younger) because of the “stamping” energy which can be hard on the ankles and knees. Then Pa Kua when you're middle age because of the circular movements and flexibility required to do some of the arts. Then you have Tai Chi which is for all ages so after the practiced the first 2 and get old, you can start with Tai Chi.

I only learn this information recently. They said that back then, practitioner who choose to study one of the arts above end up trying to master them all because they fit so well together. Of course now a days, time and location play a huge factor.

Thanks for the resources links and books. I'll look into them. I found an instructor nearby who's fairly new, but I haven't taken the class yet. I don't know if he even knows what style of Tai Chi he's teaching. We'll see how this plays out.

Thanks again! If you find any more info about Hsing I or Pa Kua, be sure to share it.

Apr 25, 2006, 07:17 AM
    I must say that you need to make sure that the teacher knows what he is talking about, and that its not somebody who's just read a book about Tai Chi, learned the moves and is passing it on pretending to be a fully fledged trained Tai Chi instructor. I'm also not saying that he is, but some people in all martial art styles do this.
    The problem with this, when it comes to TAi Chi, is that if not practices correctly, can have adverse effects on your health, such as bad knees,or back.
    I can only vouch for Yang style as I have never done the others.

If you go to this instructor you have found, first of all, find out what his lineage is. I.e Who taught him, who taught his instructor, who taught them. Try and go back as far as poss. Let me know as I know the top masters of Yang family from 1279 up to modern date. So I can tell you if his lineage goes back to one of those.

Not many instructors of Tai Chi, know what my instructor knows, as he is one only three top students of Mary Yang. So I know many instructions during the teaching that other instructors do not know, however, don't worry that other instructors do not know this. It is only because, Mary Yang is the first to teach the family Tai Chi secrets out side the family.
    Just because an instructor does not know the Yang secrets does not mean that his teachings will be harmful to you, it just means that the form is not as powerful.

What you must make sure of however, if you go with this instructor, is make note during his instruction of the following.

Make sure that with every step forward or lunge, that your knee does not extend past your toes. In other words, if you look down you should still be able to see your toes. Even if its only a fraction. If your knees bend past your toes, it means that they will be taking on the full weight of your body, and over time will damage the knees.

And, make sure that in every posture, apart from any warm ups, that the elbows always point down, this in turn releases the shoulders. If your elbows are only slightly point upward this can cause back pain.

ALso make sure that you create a rounded shape with your soulder blades, otherwise this can also cause back pain.

If your instructor breaks any of these rules then it means he is a charleton, and does not know what he is doing. These are the basics and not secrets, all Tai Chi instructors should know this.
    As I said I can only account for Yang style.
    DavidSchneider Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2006, 06:17 AM
    Regarding Yang Family Forms and Lineage and the rest: Upon arriving in Hong Kong 6 years ago I was fortunate enough to meet Mary Yang and see her for a period of two months and take some lessons. Also I was fortunate enough to meet and train with her father's Chief Disciple Grandmaster Ip Tai Tak and also train with him for four months and his students for the next 5 years. I learned about which forms were which from Master Ip who was the most amazing Tai Chi master I have seen associated with Traditional Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan. Regarding Mary: She is a wonderful teacher, of course knows her father's system and anyone who is fortunate to get in front of her should treasure the moments. The students of Mary's mentioned above from America and the U.K. are great teachers. She also teaches people who are in other countries other than England and America.

There are also three Hong Kong students of Master Ip's who were trained thoroughly in this style by him who still reside in Hong Kong. They are worth taking note of also and meeting if the occasion arose.

Regarding Chen Style Taji. This is an excellent study also. My friends here and in America who have worked with the Chen Family have found them to be excellent at their art. They are approachable and are great teachers. All of these people are easy to find on the Internet these days from the Chen family and the head of the Chen Family travels extensively and teaches, as do many of the Lineage. Look beyond the hype of anyone and see for yourself what style suits you.

Having lived in Hong Kong for six years and met many martial artists in Hong Kong and China and promoted some of them internationally through my company I would advise anyone who is interested in Taji or Bagua to meet many teachers and pay attention to how they are moving. Are they using their hips properly? Can they demonstrate their art instead of talking about it? Many people these days seeking instructors for martial arts are intelligent and deserve good instruction and proper treatment whatever martial art they are training in.

Good luck with your search.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search