Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikamac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2007, 01:05 PM
    How to respond to a gift of charity?
    My wife and I recently closed a business. An acquaintance, the parents of our daughter's friend, were very sad to see our store closed and gave us $300 in cash. We've seen them at various school events over the years and they've been occasional customers of ours, but we are not particularly close.

What should we do? We feel kind of funny accepting such 'charity,' (we don't need the money), but we don't want to hurt their feelings either.

What's the etiquette on this?

Thanks.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Dec 6, 2007, 01:16 PM
    It was a gift, not charity. I say you accept it graciously and buy them a very nice girft with it, along with a thank you card.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2007, 02:02 PM
    I absolutely agree with CM's approach.

Use the money for something thoughtful... even something like a great holiday arrangement... or take them out to a big dinner... even if you aren't close, sometimes its nice to step out of the comfort zone.

Who knows why they did what they did. It was thoughtful of them, even if the reasons were not valid. Id try to put the best possible spin on it, in my mind, and then find some way to return the gift.

I'm not an expert in etiquitte, by the way... since I'm a irish/serb man who tends to hit first and apologizes later. Just my 2 cents worth.

Man... must be getting old. Just realized the keyboard doesn't have the "cents" sign on it anymore. Geeez.
    Vision Expert

Dec 6, 2007, 02:15 PM
    Why thank you... agreed. You are not old... try hitting ALT and then 00A2... see what happens..
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2007, 02:26 PM
    Well... I know I can get the sign on the screen, but its no longer on the physical key. Not that I need to use it often, its just one of those "when did they put a light at that intersection? four months ago?!" moments.
    Vision Expert

Dec 6, 2007, 02:33 PM
    Gotcha!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I apply for Charity Care [ 4 Answers ]

I've tried searching the internet, including the web sites of various local hospitals but I cannot find the information I need. I know that Charity Care is available in Maryland for people who simply cannot pay for medical care. I just need to find out how to apply - is it through the state? Or...

Charity Deductions [ 3 Answers ]

So if someone has a AGI of $90,000 and contributed $72,000 in cash to a public charity. What is the deduction allowed to be used for AMAT purpose? By my calcualation it is $45,000. Am I correct? Thanks!

Charity name [ 4 Answers ]

Which charity can I write to get help with finance help for low paid family, need to buy furnitures and a holiday and help with getting central heating installed

Retail charity marketing [ 1 Answers ]

I'm interested to know if anyone has statistical facts on how retail marketing is affected by the affiliation of a charitable cause in that marketing. If a retailer gives some of their profit to a charity, do they sell more merchandise and it so, is it a lot more? Why?

Charity contribution [ 4 Answers ]

I have learn so much by reading post here. I gave charity contrybutin to my church every year. I would like to know how is it firgure(formula) How much is allowed each year. Does it affect how much I pay in taxes and what is the cutoff where it does not matter how much I gave. Thank,I...

View more questions Search