Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 15, 2007, 09:26 PM
    My understanding at least in GA and TN, stores that sell the lottery tickets only get 5 percent of the sale. So if you figure they get 5 cents to sell the ticket, and then have to check them for winners, pay out small winners, turn those tickets back into the state for payment, and so on.
    I doubt they actually make money off the tickets, the time and money they pay the clerk to do these things, is most likely a lot more than the money they get from the tickets thierself. For example to pay a clerk 10 dollars a hour ( assuming a 7 dollar a hour clerk and the tax costs of them.
    You will have to sell 200 tickets a hour just to pay his salary before you figure building rent and so on. So you are talking about to make money more than one ticket every 30 seconds per clerk selling the tickets, I don't know any clerks that fast.

Next on the book idea, for the person who said it would not work, you don't play the lottery do you, go into the high traffic places and there are dozens of books, systems, lucky numbers and more. People are selling books by the 1000's every day.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2007, 10:00 PM
    Having the tickets available is only a strategy to bring traffic to your store where you then have other merchandise available for which your profit is higher. A fountain drink and cup might cost a quarter but produces a $1.50 or so... same with candy bars, lighters, cigarettes, etc.

The other items I mentioned related to the lottery also have higher profits associated. I've seen guys pay $2 or $3 for a little plastic thing to scratch off their tickets with!

So when someone buys 10 tickets and a coffee to take home for his wife, you've made 50 cents on the lottery and a dollar on the drink?

How many of us have ever witnessed people spending a hundred dollars at a time on tickets? I've seen it frequently.

And it is also my understanding that each establishment gets another percentage when they cash in winning tickets of any amount. Not a bad return on something that the store owner doesn't have to worry about spoiling or being undersold down the street?
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Dec 16, 2007, 08:11 AM
    Actually I used to work in a store just like that and there wasn't much for a profit on that kind of stuff. Sure you get a dollar here and a dollar there in profit but when you consider the amt you pay for the employees and the costs of the building and the bills, it actually turns out to be not that much.
    Magdalena Posts: 20, Reputation: 0

Feb 15, 2008, 06:15 AM
    Hello Ion Saliu,
    Thank you for your kindly words and for your interest in my presence on this forum,but I am angry and painful. I did not receive any stimulant answer to my questions,only insults. When I have something unique in my hand and wanted to do more perfect with new ideas of my "friends", I found waves of standard knowledge that I know for decades and I heard daily in the street.
    I know you from Romania. Also I know well your sites. In fact, I researched all the material about this subject on the Internet and offline since I was a teenager. I appreciate your work and your personality.
    At this moment I can't explain what I have , until I'll finish my ebook and website, but I yes can tell you that it is something revolutionary and unusual with good results.
    In the meantime I am ready to exchange with you different opinions.
    Wishing you all the best
    Magdalena
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2008, 06:22 AM
    Well, you received facts and reason... all of which you rejected for some vague emotional feelings about how there MUST be another way.

You never, ever produced anything of substance when asked.

All talk. No walk.
    Ion Saliu Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2008, 06:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Magdalena
    Hello Ion Saliu,
    Thank you for your kindly words and for your interest in my presence on this forum,but I am angry and painful. I did not receive any stimulant answer to my questions,only insults. When I have something unique in my hand and wanted to do more perfect with new ideas of my "friends", I found waves of standard knowledge that I know for decades and I heard daily in the street.
    I know you from Romania. Also I know well your sites. In fact, I researched all the material about this subject on the Internet and offline since I was a teenager. I appreciate your work and your personality.
    At this moment I can't explain what I have , until I'll finish my ebook and website, but I yes can tell you that it is something revolutionary and unusual with good results.
    In the meantime I am ready to exchange with you different opinions.
    Wishing you all the best
    Magdalena
    Magda:

Whom are you talking to? Ghosts? I ain’t here! My message was deleted!! I did NOT mean to advertise. These answers disappear in a short while anyway. What I posted was not only the site of the best resources regarding lottery as a very serious matter (high-level mathematics). My site is the ONLY place where matters of randomness such as lottery are treated with utmost seriousness (unique software also provided).

I doubt you had known me in Romania. I left two decades ago from a city with an old castle where Dracula (Vlad Tepes) was imprisoned for two years! (Hint: Hunedoara.)

There is a cosmic amount of BS in cyberspace. The only solution is tireless search. The search engines will take you there, albeit much slower than warranted. People will get to my site sooner, albeit kind of unnecessarily later.

Ion Saliu,
    Thinker At-Large
    Socrates, Philosophy, Science, Software, Gambling, Lotto, Lottery
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Feb 15, 2008, 07:44 PM
    If you were able to purchase 1,000,000 lotery tickets for a drawing, the chances of you winning are still several million to one. Every ticket that is sold Increases the odds that you WILL NOT win, Example: There is a prize of $1000. There are 2 people who purchsed tickets. You have a 1 in 2 chance of winning.
    If there are 1000 tickets sold on the same $1000 , you have a 1 in 1000 chance of winning. In escense, the more tickets sold, the less chance of winning.
    Find an investment. Petrol is good... look at Exxon-Mobil profits!!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 15, 2008, 08:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman2007
    Every ticket that is sold Increases the odds that you WILL NOT win, Example: There is a prize of $1000. There are 2 people who purchsed tickets. You have a 1 in 2 chance of winning.
    If there are 1000 tickets sold on the same $1000 , you have a 1 in 1000 chance of winning. In escense,,the more tickets sold, the less chance of winning.
    Actually that's not accurate. In a lottery numbers are drawn. So your odds of winning are based on the number of different permutations of the numbers.

The sceneraio you described applies to a raffle not a lottery.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Feb 15, 2008, 10:10 PM
    You are absolutely correct. The odds are even higher for a lottery!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2008, 09:59 AM
    Hello:

The best way to win, is to play 38, 5, 14, 23, 45 and 23.

excon
    MRINTBU Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 06:21 PM
    That's why it is called a lottery and that's how the state where required and played makes money off the people that so much think that they can actually win so its better off to invest it in something that will make you money instead of losing money. Good luck
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2008, 06:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Magdalena
    Hi, everyone,
    What is the best method to win the lottery?
    Why I can't to work manually for my ticket,and is recommended a software?
    And,if occasionally is logical possible to win, why not permanently? I mean,is there possible to make an income from lottery?
    Please, I must many opinions to be convinced.
    Thanks in advance
    Magdalene

Be lucky
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2008, 06:21 AM
    Magdalena disagrees: There IS another way. Just be ready to listen to another proven opinion.

Still listening, and you've still said nothing of substance.

Saying "yes there is a way" is not proof. So... at what point in this thread do you decide to offer this proof? Stories aren't proof. Emotions aren't proof. Poorly written rants that never offer any substance aren't proof. So what do you have? Nada.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Euro Lottery [ 22 Answers ]

Wow apparently I just won a lump sum pay out of 1.000.000.00 Euro.(One Million Euro):D Anyone care for a vacation on me!? LMAO!! Okay, who wants what? I'm buying!! :p

Lottery winner [ 3 Answers ]

I've noticed an Ohio store clerk lottery winner of a million dollars, decided to take $50,000 annually for a number of years. After IRS taxes it would be only $34,000 annually. That a 68% tax bite. So I guess IRS has a certain tax rate for gambling proceeds. Too bad You could not include it as...

Best method for winning the lottery [ 20 Answers ]

What method of playing the lottery has the best chance of winning, by letting the computer select the numbers or by the Player selecting the numbers?

The Lottery Ticket [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone written a personal study on this short story by Anton Chekhov:)

View more questions Search