Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Liquid Reign Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2007, 12:04 PM
    1991 Accord Steering Problems
    I have several things going on. First is my steering wheel feels kind of jerky when straitening out of a turn. Next some times when on the highway at around 60-70mph there is some real vibration in the wheel.

The next thing is strange when I go to back up and turn, like out of a parking spot my wheel wants to turn on it's own, for example if I was backing up and turning my wheel to the left and was to let go of the steering wheel it would continue to turn all the way to the fully cranked over position with quite a bit of force. It does it either way you turn. When you stop and go forward everything feels normal.

Finally the wheel vibrates a lot when in drive at a full stop, and when you turn the wheel at a full stop in gear or not, it vibrates pretty bad it also makes a kind of whining noise at the same time. I checked the power steering fluid and it is OK, also I just replaced both front CV joints and axles, front brake rotors, brake calipers and pads with brand new ones. The problem was there before and after the previous changes. I have been told different things it could be. Tire balance, shocks springs, power steering pump, motor mounts.

One more thing my transmission seems to want to shift sometimes when I don't think it should at lower speeds it will shift up early and kind of jerk into the next gear, and it will do the same when slowing down and then when you apply the gas it will jerk in to gear. I know this is a lot of stuff but I would really appreciate some help before I start putting out a bunch of money that is not necessary.
    Duane in Japan Posts: 282, Reputation: 8

Dec 7, 2007, 12:30 AM
    The whining sounds like a bad PS pump. The problem of it wants to turn on its own sounds like a caster related problem. The wheel is there in the wheel well, it is not supposed to move forward or backward, it turns left and right when you want to turn, this is toe in and toe out kind of thing, when you go over bumps in the road, this is a camber type thing, but caster should not allow the wheels to go forward or backward, I think you have a tension rod bushing worn. It should be a rod that goes from the lower swing arm (control arm) towards the front bumper and connect the frame. You may actually see this motion if you let a friend put it in drive with the brake on, release the brake, apply the brake once the car starts to move, go in reverse with the brake on, release the brake, hit the brake again when the car starts to move, do this a few times and you may notice one front wheel and tire move forwards or backwards.

The transmission shifting issues will need a flush from a Quicky Lube type place through the dip stick hole while the engine is running OR you can do three---three quart fluid changes with OEM Honda fluid, running the engine for several minutes between drain and refills, ask the lube shop if they have OEM Honda fluid or can you bring your own. Unfortunetly a Honda of your age does not have a servicable filter or an accessible valve body, so if the flush does not help then its tranny time, inspect all the motor / tranny mounts for being broken also.

Dec 7, 2007, 08:57 AM
    Hey thanks a lot. Is the part you are talking about listed here

Honda Automotive Parts

Dec 7, 2007, 11:28 PM
    That website will not open on my computer and no one can tell me why, its not blocked in my security or privacy settings that I can see, there are a couple of parts sites that won't open but others that will??

Dec 8, 2007, 03:44 AM
    Here are a couple of more links the first one you have to enter a zipcode use mine 97304 and then, 1991 Accord LX 4DR Automatic USA gray interior, dealer delon Honda. Browse catalog chassis front lower arm
    Front Lower Arm

http://estore.honda.com/epc/asp/rjane007.asp

South Bay Honda - Honda Automotive Parts Store

Dec 8, 2007, 12:01 PM
    First one worked, second did not??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cub Cadet steering problems [ 1 Answers ]

How do I aline steering arms on cub cadet 1554 so that one wheel does not go in one direction and the other wheel in the opposite direction? Steering links are measured and seem to be the same length and straight, but when you start driving front tires get out of aline and go in opposite direction.

Troy-bilt riding mower steering problems [ 1 Answers ]

I'm having problems with the steering on my troy bilt mower. It turns left OK but when you go to turn right it seems the steering gears are not connecting. I sent it in to change the d upper and lower drive belts and they also changed a couple of pulleys. When I got it back the steering seemed...

1991 Honda Accord [ 1 Answers ]

My 1991 Honda Accord EXR seems to have a problem with the torque converter not locking up. You can tell because at 100k the RPM is at about 3000rpm and once the car gets warmed up (about 1/2 hour of driving) the RPM drops to about 2600rpm and you can tell the converter is locked in. Any ideas of...

View more questions Search