Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    messenger Posts: 18, Reputation: 0

Dec 6, 2007, 11:54 AM
    Will shoplifting lead to visa rejection when it is applied for renewal
    I was recently caught for shoplifting in Texas. I'm here on a dependent visa.I really don't know what made me do shoplifting.this is my first time and I got caught. I stole earing and clothes worth 150$ and I was arrested and taken to jail . But was out on bail by nght. I feel really very ashamed of myself for what I have done and I regreting about it every single second . Can eat or sleep well. All my peace of mind got ruined by that silly maddness act of mine. I'm still waitng to apear in the court and waiting for the letter which will tell my date of appearing in the court. I'm so sacred and I don't know what to tel the judge. I wannted to plead to him how regretful I feel . But I'm not sure whether he will just warn me and let me go .
    Can anyone please tell me whether this will be a problem if I apply for extension of dependent visa and whether it might lead to rejection:-((. Will this shoplifting case appear in my record and will it be a hindrance for me , entering the USA the next time. Is it big offense tat will lead to rejection or will it all depend on the verdict given by the judge.
    I will be so grateful if anyone could help me get an answer for this problem.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2007, 12:36 PM
    talk to a lawyer.

not an expert in this area so hang around for more info from those who might know better. But a "story" I do know about...

I know a guy from outside the US, living here with green card, who, in a rage, did a bunch of damage to public property and was caught. The value of the damage wouldve resulted in a felony and potential deportation. He worked with the prosecutor on talking the charge down, did some extra community service, paid a bigger fine, and as far as I know, everything is OK. He had no prior problems and no real reason to be deported. He had a bad, bad night and he lost his cool.

that said, I wouldn't sit back and wait. Consult a lawyer... even ask to talk to the prosecutors office. The more you know, the more you can live in the reality of what this will mean.
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2007, 12:43 PM
    An interesting link...

MurthyDotCom : U.S. Immigration Law

But remember, there is absolutely no substitute for seeking legal counsel in person, in your area. There looks to be latitude in how this can be prosecuted... which mean they could push hard one way or the other. And an election year is coming up, so people do crazy things sometimes.

Get legal advice from counsel in your area.
    messenger Posts: 18, Reputation: 0

Dec 6, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Counsel you mean a lawyer??
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2007, 01:33 PM
    As answered in my PM's, yes... counsel meant legal advice from a lawyer.

And as I said in the PM's, start making phone calls. I'm guessing you'll find knowledgeable help with a little work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rejection ! [ 13 Answers ]

It appears to be left up to the guy to show emotional interest in a girl. Girls do not pursue a guy. This makes it very difficult for a guy to know if the girl likes him, he can be friendly and look for indications of interest or he can ask her out. But if she does not know him, then she will...

Afraid of rejection [ 8 Answers ]

Hi. I am 18 years old, haven't had one relationship that lasted more than two weeks (except for in 6th grade, but that hardly counts), and am VERY shy. I have a hard time talking to guys, especially the cute ones. When I was younger I really didn't think I was good-looking, but now that I'm...

How thick is the lead in a lead joint [ 2 Answers ]

Im getting ready to take the Indiana pluming test and I was wanting to know how thick the lead Is suppose to be in the hub of the cast iron.

Rejection [ 5 Answers ]

My wife is 60 years old, her insurance rates keep going up and up in spite of the fact that she is in perfect health but for high blood pressure. Her Dr tells her that she has "white coat hypertension" i.e. her blood pressure is elevated only in the Dr's office, it is normal at home. Her mother and...

Rejection [ 2 Answers ]

What happen to our emotion and body when you are rejected?

View more questions Search