Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tammyann74 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2007, 10:38 AM
    Networking a printer to another computer
    Ok I am going to start with the back ground of my issue before I ask the actual question. I have a computer that has XP and is connected to the main printer. I have another computer that is running 2000 and is the host for the wireless internet. My XP computer recently crashed in a big way. I guess it was not saveable so they basically set it up like it was a brand new computer with the rescue disc. I had to reinstall all the programs to include the main printer. The printer before the crash was networked to be used by the other computer windows 2000 and now nothing. So my question is what do I have to do to get the printer to work for the other computer again? I have attempted all the networking and the computers can't even see each other. Both computers are set up to share files and printers. The printer software is installed on both computers. Someone please help or direct me to someone or something that can walk me through step by step to accomplish connecting the printer again. Thank you for any help anyone can give.

Tammy Ann
    EOS Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Dec 6, 2007, 12:25 PM
    Are the computers in the same workgroup? They won't be able to see each other unless they are.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Dec 6, 2007, 12:50 PM
    It sounds like you have a wireless connection on the windows 2000 computer, and another connection that goes to your XP computer, right? If so, do the following:

On the windows 2000 computer:
    Go to control panel, network connections. Make sure it doesn't say disabled by either of the connections.
    Right click the wireless connection, go to properties. Go to the last tab, and make sure Internet Connection Sharing is enabled. If it is, uncheck it, press OK, open it up again, re-check it, and hit OK. This should turn internet connection sharing back on, and reset the settings. Your IP address on that computer will be 192.168.0.1.

On the windows XP computer:
    Go to control panel, network connection. Make sure it isn't disabled. Right click, properties. IP Protocol (double click). Make sure it's set to Obtain IP address automatically, and Obtain DNS automatically. Hit okay.

Within 5 minutes, your CP computer should get all the settings from the 2000 computer, and be able to get online, and on the network.

To set up the printer:

Go to the Printers folder, right click the printer, Sharing tab, and configure it however you need to. Then you'll probably have to go on the 2000 computer, go to Network Places, and find the XP computer. It can take a little while for the other computer to show up. You should be able to open it up and connect to the printer from there.
    adec234 Posts: 79, Reputation: 2

Jan 3, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Did your other have wireless? if it is try let the two PC be in same workgroup with different names and IP address .
    You don't have to install the driver on the other end. Since u have done it on one of them. You will just to to the second PC and enter the workgroup name u will see the printer there once it has been install and share in one of them.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2008, 12:58 PM
    File sharing on a wireless home network - Network World

File sharing on a wireless home network | NetworkWorld.com Community

Hope this information helps
    tammyann74 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 03:28 PM
    I just want to say thank you to everyone that gave me feedback and websites to look at and the computers are finally networked again. Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... So again thank you to everyone for all your assistance in helping me, its very much appreciated. Hope all had a Happy New Year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer networking [ 3 Answers ]

How do I connect two computers via ethernet for file sharing?

Problem networking printer [ 7 Answers ]

I just added a new laptop to my home network. It's a Dell Latitude running windows XP pro. I had successfully been using another (IBM running Windows 98) and had it all networked fine, but I cannot get the printer to work with this one. I have tried setting it up tried to install the proper...

Networking a dot matrix printer [ 1 Answers ]

Dear all, Kindly help me, can you please give me advise on how I can put a Dot Matrix on Printer on a network? What are the tools that I needed. Will I need a hub? JETDIRECT CARD? Or any other tools, please advise me. Hoping for your fastest reply. Thank you very much. br,

How do I move files and share printer when networking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dell desktop as my main computer and a dell laptop, (wireless) as second computer, I installed a Linksys broadband wireless router and I'm able to share the internet connection, but I don't understand how to share files or move them between the two, also need to share the printer and...

View more questions Search