Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LVHonda Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2007, 10:37 AM
    Trouble starting my 1996 Civic
    Hi. I'm new here, thanks for any help.
    I have a 1996 Honda Civic EX with about 128,000 miles on it. Just this week I've been having trouble getting the key to turn in the ignition. The steering wheel is not locked. It's probably because the car is getting old, but I want to keep it and not pay a fortune to get it looked at or fixed. Any ideas about what the problem could be and what it might cost to fix?
    Thanks!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2007, 10:46 AM
    You may need to install a new steering lock. The link below should help you replace it yourself:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post224842
    Duane in Japan Posts: 282, Reputation: 8

Dec 7, 2007, 12:53 AM
    I have used a chisel to turn the Shear bolts (anti theft studs) back out, with a hammer and chisel of course. I have lately learned to just make a cut across the head of the stud so that a big common screwdriver could be used to turn it out. I don't try to turn them out with the chisel not do I drill them out anymore.

BUT, if I have a certain tool box with me, Sears has a left hand drill head and an easyout just beneath the drill head, that works great but watch out for metal shavings getting into your eyes from working upsidedown on some cars. I also have an easyout for the drill that just bites real good and turns the stud out too, its also a Sears item, they both never let me down yet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

89 honda civic with previos electrical probs stalling out/trouble starting? [ 10 Answers ]

I bought this car about a year ago , and when I got it I had to redo part of the front electrical harness that attaches to the lights but I had to go as far back as the alt. the guy that had it messed it up by trying to repair a light and frying it all the way back, then he rigged his radio somehow...

Honda-civic-96 trouble starting [ 3 Answers ]

My wife's 96 honda civic with over 100,000 miles would turn over some sluggishly when I tried to crank so I replaced battery and then car would turn over a lot but not crank for several tries and finally it cranked. I drove it down the road and up hills with no problems and pulled in drive way and...

Yet another ('91) Civic having trouble starting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a '91 Honda Civic DX and it seems like the battery is being slowly drained of its energy. A few weeks ago I came to this forum and looked at CroCivic91's "FAQ - My Honda Civic Won't Start" thread. I had the classic signs of a bad main relay (16 flashes of the diag light and car dying on hot...

1987 Honda Civic, trouble starting [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 1987 Honda Civic, 89k miles. It was running great up until about a year ago. It began to not start up right away. Had the carburator replaced with a rebuilt one in January. The problem with starting the car has continued and worsened. Now I never know if it's going to start or not. When I...

View more questions Search