Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shirley116 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2007, 10:53 PM
    Cars radio
    I need a radio for my 1983 toyata collara.:)
    Duane in Japan Posts: 282, Reputation: 8

Dec 6, 2007, 01:35 AM
    Your info is a little lacking but I think that most front mount radios should fit, I recommend an adaptor harness to go from your radio harness (straight wires) the original cars harness plug (connector). If a hack job was previously done on your car and the original harness plug has been cut off then you need to change one wire at a time while installing your new radio unless an experienced person is doing the work then they should at least make some notes as to which wire is which.

I work on Toyotas in Japan and they do not require a mounting kit, the radio does need brackets on each side, I would think that if your radio is original that these brackets are installed right now but be prepared for another expense of a bracket kit on top of the adaptor harness.

If your new radio harness comes with a harness that does not have the little male and female connectors on each wire then you will need these items and a special pair of wire crimpers also.

Everything I am saying assumes you want to upgrade from your old original radio to an up to date AM/FM/CD or something, or do you want an original Toyota radio that matches yours?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buying cars [ 1 Answers ]

Prices do not include T/L/F. FOR USED CARS: what does it mean

Cars [ 1 Answers ]

I had put a performance ditributor cap and rotor in my 1989 honda civic hatchback dx as well as a external ignition coil and new spark plugs and 8.5 mm wires.I first started the car up and it high idling and then I shut it down.I reorganized the wire and I got nothing but back firing and or mis...

Cars [ 3 Answers ]

How does a car go on the ground? Which forces are acting on the wheels of the car so that it goes forward? What are the name of these forces and in which direction do they act on the wheels of the car?

View more questions Search