Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meg711 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2007, 10:21 PM
    Where is the filter on my Trane XL80?
    Okay, please don't laugh. I've read the owner's manual and the Trane site a couple times now. It's totally gobbledygook to me. So here are my silly questions:

--The manual talks about upflow, upflow installed horizontally, and downflow. Our unit has the "grated" part on the bottom, which I think means that it's a downflow furnace. Anyone know whether that is right? Can someone please give me a simple explanation so I can understand what I have and which part of the manual applies?

--Assuming I have a downflow furnace, where exactly is the filter? Am I really going to have to call the local dealer to figure this out? (That's what the manual says.)

--Assuming I have an upflow furnace, which I doubt, I just can't find the two latches on the blower door where the filter supposedly it. (Sheesh--what's a blower door?) Can anyone help me find it?

--Do I really have to turn the power to the furnace off before changing the filter as the manual says? Do they mean at the electric panel? If I turn off the power and then turn it back on, will I have to do anything else to get the heater working? Will I need to light the furnace?

I do have an electronic air cleaner that sits on top of the furnace. And someone told me that that's the only filter I have. Could that be true?

I would really appreciate any help. As you can probably tell, I need a lot of help here. Thanks so much.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 6, 2007, 08:54 AM
    (((I do have an electronic air cleaner that sits on top of the furnace. And someone told me that that's the only filter I have. Could that be true?)))

Yes that is true. Sometimes there is a little metal mesh filter called a prefilter inside the electronic unit. It is very thin and used only to catch large pieces of dirt. Usually that is cleaned whenever the electronic air filter is cleaned.

Dec 6, 2007, 09:03 AM
    What would happen if the electronic air cleaner has not been on while the heater and A/C have been running?

Dec 6, 2007, 09:04 AM
    hvac1000,

Sorry about that. I hit the submit button without finishing my post.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 6, 2007, 09:25 AM
    Yes the prefilter would still get dirty.
    tienle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2010, 10:04 AM
    What is the filter model and where can I get the replacement (Trane XL80)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trane XL80 TUD100R948K furnace [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Trane XL80 2 stage furnace just installed and in the manual it mentions that the blower motor speed can be adjusted by the spped taps wiring. It has 4 wires black, yello, red and blue. And there is a terminal called "PARK". Which has the yellow wire connected to it and then RED to LO HEAT...

Trane XL80 Heater Unit [ 4 Answers ]

We had a Trane XL80 Heater and XL 12 AC Condenser installed back in Jun 2004 - The blower fan on the heater is starting to make some noise! Not sure if it's getting ready to go out? Or not - also we had a Sta-Med Electronic Air Cleaner installed at the same time - the power light (green) does not...

Trane XL80 upgrade to 90K [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Trane XL80 60K furnace with no air conditioning. It is about 15 years old. I want to upgrade the furnace to a 90K which I remember was supposed to be easy to do by simply replacing the jets with larger 90k units. But now the furnace installation company (original factory approved...

Trane Xl80 Furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Keep getting the blinking light on the control panel. Flashes 4 times it say's it means that the thermal protection device is open. O.K. what does that mean . And can I fix or do I have to call a repair man Thanks Jimmyd

View more questions Search