Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nticurn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2007, 06:47 PM
    Leasing a house --owner foreclosure
    After selling my house, I decided to lease another house for a year or so. I have been in the house since August 2007. I have paid my rent and a $2500 deposit. The owner has not paid the mortgage in 5 months. The house is scheduled for foreclosure on Dec. 14, 2007-In Va.
    Do I have any rights? How long can I stay in the house? My children are already upset about moving once this year, but not again at Christmas Time.
    The owner mortgage holder is Option One. They will not give me much information. Should I attend the sell on the court house steps? I really need to plead my case... please help...
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2007, 07:06 PM
    I just had a discussion with my Real Estate Broker about this. Unfortunately, you are in a very bad position. You need to make arrangements for another place now. They can have you removed in as little as 48hours after taking possession if they are nasty. Getting your deposit is going to be difficult as well. I'm sorry I don't have better info for you. It is something, I feel, needs to be addressed by law - renters that pay on time and do what they are supposed to do shouldn't be tossed into the street.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 5, 2007, 08:23 PM
    You basically have no rights, And to make it worst, if he is being foreclosed most likely he does not have your deposit money to give you back either.
    Your lease is void the minute the gavel falls and the house sells. And I have seen notices of as little as 3 days to move out, and some have fought it in court and gotten 30 to 60 days to move. But if you know it is selling on a certain date you need to get moving.
    kingfish1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2010, 11:11 AM
    Well you really screwed up when you LOST your house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a leasing contract for an apartment in Texas to purchanse a new house [ 4 Answers ]

Do I have any other way to get out if I breach a contract agreement with the apartment, because I want to buy a new home, and the new home is a really good offer not to miss out? Could you let me know. Thanks

Owner of the House Lost House While We're Still Paying Him Rent [ 1 Answers ]

I'm currently going through a somewhat messy situation.. My husband and I moved into this house in Victorville about 2 and a half years ago. The house was perfect and the rent was suitable and our 5 kids loved the neighborhood and their new schools. Well about three weeks ago this man had came over...

Eviciting a previous Owner- Foreclosure! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have pruchased a property from the courthouse in a foreclosure proceeding. I, being the new owner, have tried to knock on the door various times, but no response. There is always a car parked in the driveway, but the previous owner is missing in action. I can tell his belongings are in...

Owner won't return deposit for not leasing [ 1 Answers ]

My city in California did not approve my dance studio at this certain building. I gave the owner a deposit which he won't return. There was no wirtten agreement and he specificly said my deposit was refunable, which he denies saying. Am I entitled for my deposit to be return

Renter eviction due to owner foreclosure [ 17 Answers ]

I am currently renting a house through a property management company in Dallas, Texas and have 2 months left on our lease. I always pay rent early. I just found out that the owner of the property is apparently not paying their mortgage and may be going into foreclosure. I do not have any formal...

View more questions Search