Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelic14ever Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2007, 05:10 PM
    Can I sue a Hotel?
    The week of Thanksgiving I had surgery. I was unsure if I was going to be able to see my family for the holiday so I made reservations at a hotel just in cse I could make it. I specifically asked the lady on the phone if I would be charged right away and she said " We cannot charge your card until you showed up." Okay I didn't show up and I was still charged a full night of staying there, and she didn't tell me if I didn't show up they were going to charge me. I called many times to see if I could get my refund. They said no. The charge dind't go through my account until the following week. I had made other purchases unaware the hotel was still going to charge me and it made my account go into the negative. Do I have a case? Please help!!
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Dec 5, 2007, 05:15 PM
    They aren't suppose to charge your account until you actually show up. Ask to speak to the manager and sort it out. Go in and talk to him/her in person.
    merrymerry Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2007, 05:18 PM
    I would contact the bank or credit card company.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 5, 2007, 05:19 PM
    Ah, but you did not cancel, correct?

Many places, especially over a holiday, will still charge the card for a one night fee if you do not cancel within 24 hours prior to your scheduled arrival time.
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Dec 5, 2007, 05:22 PM
    I guess it depends on the hotel.
    The last one I stayed at was in May, and when we called and booked the room they took our credit card number, and told us they wouldn't put it on the card until we showed up.
    They followed through with that just like they said when we showed up. They told us that there was no fee if we were a no show.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 5, 2007, 05:35 PM
    As J_9 said, if you make a reservation and do not cancel it in time, most places will charge you for at least one night. However they should have informed you of that fact up front.

If you used a charge card, I don't understand how it could be put into the negative. If it was a debit card, do you have overdraft protection?

If it was a credit card, just call the card company and protest the charge. No need to sue.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 5, 2007, 05:39 PM
    Yes, it is not charged until you show up OR until you don't show up at all. That is the reason to have the credit card number to start with, if they were just going to hold it and hopeyou show up, but it is common knowledge if you reserve a room, and don't show up, you are charged for it.

The hotel is completely within their right to do this. The clerk when asked was assuming you would show up, since you asked when it would be charged.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toronto Hotel - Near Downtown Bars [ 5 Answers ]

All right between Google local and expedia I have not been able to nail down a good hotel within walking distance of downtown Toronto. I am assuming that downtown is the place to be because of the bars and nightclubs.. Please tell me if this is an incorrect assumption. Anyway a hotel within...

Women Hotel [ 5 Answers ]

A group of girlfriends is on vacation when they see a 5-story hotel with a sign that reads: "For Women Only". Since they are without their boyfriends and husbands, they decide to go in. The bouncer, a very attractive guy, explains to them how it works. "We have 5 floors. Go up floor by floor,...

Hotel in Vegas for the weekend [ 4 Answers ]

My friend and I are planning a weekend getaway in Las Vegas. We would like to keep it inexpensive but fun. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good hotel right on the strip?

Samtha Hotel & tower [ 1 Answers ]

Any one have knowledge about this Hotel in Uk,where is it & more information about it,

Name of hotel doorman union [ 1 Answers ]

I was a doorman in a co-op that was formerly a hotel and the service workers, as such, belonged to the hotel union. This was 1992 through 1997. What was the Local that hotel doormen belonged to during this period. Thank you

View more questions Search