Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eaca1234 Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Dec 5, 2007, 05:02 PM
    What Should I be doing to prepare for college?
    I am a sophomore in high school, and really want to get into a good college. I have a 4.0 GPA, and participate in a few after-school activities. I have signed up recently to volunteer monthly at a local soup kitchen. (Don't worry- I'm not only doing these things for colleges. Just saying.) What else do colleges look for? Any suggestions on what I could do to build up my resumé?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 5, 2007, 05:04 PM
    Wow, sounds like you are good to go!!

Are you in the states? If so, are you in the National Honors Society? What about sports?
    Cherrybomb0903 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2007, 05:05 PM
    Colleges look for someone who is well rounded.. . But not too involved in everything. They want to know that you're involved heavily in things that you really love not just spread yourself thin around everything. It sounds like you're doing great and you are on the road to getting in any college you want, just remember you need to find a school that fits you too.
    eaca1234 Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Dec 5, 2007, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Are you in the states? If so, are you in the National Honors Society? What about sports?
    Yes, I live in Kentucky. I haven't joined the National Honors society, because I believe, at my school, they only open invitations junior year. I'm not quite sure. However, sports at my school are pretty hardcore and have to be your main focus. Obviously, academia is mine.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 5, 2007, 05:23 PM
    Ah, here in Tennessee the Honor's Society is open every year for every grade. My daughter is in Junior National Honor's Society in 8th grade.

Now, if you are interested in academia, I applaud you!! (I'm all for education if you can't tell, LOL), join the NHS when invites are open. It looks GREAT on the college resume.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 5, 2007, 05:32 PM
    As far as eligibility goes -- a solid GPA, a good score on the ACT or SAT, a killer essay (there are books available on how to write one), extracurricular activities*, and a pleasing interview with you are what college admissions look for.

*High school students come to me as a public library volunteer coordinator and do summer volunteering or even a couple of hours a week during their junior and senior years. Other kids volunteer at hospitals or animal shelters.

Now I'm going to tell you something you may not want to hear. Most colleges will give you a good education and new experiences.

It comes down to, do you want to go to a college near home or far away? Do you want to go to a big college or a small one? Do you want to go to a college near/in a big city or in a small town or rural area? Do you want to go to a state school (reasonable) or a private one (expensive)? Do you have a career in mind or do you want to lay a foundation of liberal arts that you can build on?

If you can narrow down the above choices, you will be a lot closer to chosing colleges that you can apply to.

The main thing though is the "fit". I had my mind all made up as to which college I wanted to attend and closed my mind to the other ones I visited. My son made the same mistake. Only later did each of us realize that other colleges would have filled the bill for education and would have been a much better fit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I prepare? [ 1 Answers ]

I need a gifted psychic to help me. My relationship is changing. I am in fear that he is not the same person I thought he was. Is he being honest with me? And if not what is he hiding? My birthday is 6-18-82 his is 5-5-79. If you need more info please message me.

Is Excelsior College a real college? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, if someone can please help me and let me know if Excelsior College's distance learning program is legally accredited, I would appreciate it very much. I would like to get a BS degree in Computer Information System through distance learning. I found that Excelsior College is perfect for this,...

College guy suddenly confusing college girl [ 4 Answers ]

So here's the deal: I entered college midyear. During my first week, I met this incredibly nice & cute guy. We hit it off. We spent hours just talking in his room. He drove me to the bookstore to get my books. We went out for fast food a couple times. Things got complicated when he decided to...

View more questions Search