Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pepper55 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2007, 02:18 PM
    Hour pay reduced
    I work for an Insurance Agent who has 25 years+ as a contract agent for one of the top five insurance companies in the United States. He has his own office and employs three people. He pays our salaries - we are his employees and we are not connected in any way with the parent insurance company.
    In Sep 2006 when I was hired, I was hired at a set hourly rate and told that once I completed the State Of Illinois requirements for a license in all four lines of business and became an Insurance Producer, he would raise my hourly rate; .50 for the first two lines and .50 for the second two lines for a total increase of $1.00 per hour. Within three months, I passed the exams for all four licenses and he increase my hourly rate by $1 as promised. In July 2007, he said he would give me a merit increase in Sept 2007 on my one year anniversary. I did not get the promised increase - nor did I question him about it as I didn't want to cause friction between us (he is very sensitive and will make you apologize over & over for anything that hurts his feelings - even if you didn't know about it. He writes stuff down and will throw it in your face 3 months later... over and over).

On Nov 30th, he handed all three of us our paychecks with a very short note in it stating he was cutting each of our hourly pay by whatever amount was listed in the letter effective on December 1st (then left the office immediately).

I never received the merit increase he promised me in Sept - but he cut my pay by $1 an hour which reduced my pay to what it was the day I was hired as an unlicensed Insurance Producer. It was a lot of self-study to prepare and test to become licensed by the State of Illinois. When he cut my pay by $1 an hour - he put me back to where I was BEFORE I became licensed. I understand a boss can cut your pay - but I never received a merit increase or anything else - the only "increase" I received was the one I earned by getting licensed. Can he do that?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 5, 2007, 03:51 PM
    Well I guess you could make him give you the raise and then the next week he can merely cut it back, in the end without a employment contract or union agreement, they can increase and/or decrease your pay any time they wish. So if he wishes to take away your increases he can do so. You of course since you have a full line license can go out on commission and sell insurance for a company direct if you wish, or change to another agent who may pay more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reduced Salary [ 2 Answers ]

I am on a lesser salary than the 4 other people in my department. I was wondering if there are any laws stating that if I am doing exactly the same work if not some more work than them am I allowed to ask for an increase in salary to what my other colleagues are on? WIll my age effect this as I am...

Reduced pressure after turning on faucet [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to figure out why I have reduced pressure from my kitchen sink faucet. Initially, when I turn on the faucet, either hot or cold, the pressure is good for about two seconds, after that it reduces by approximately half. I have replaced the seat and springs but that only eliminated a drip....

Reduced hot water pressure [ 2 Answers ]

First question here, thanks in advance for any responses. Basically, I have lost pressure from all the hot water taps/shower in my house. Boiler seems to be working okay - water is actually hot but initially comes out as usual for half a second when turning taps on, but then slows to a...

Credit card reduced balance [ 3 Answers ]

Is it true that credit card companies will except a reduced settlement of your balance if you make them an offer if they believe there is little chance of them receiving the full amount other wise, if so is there a stencil letter on the web to use:confused:

View more questions Search