Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    just3boys Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2007, 07:34 AM
    What is the best router for 2desktops and 1 laptop
    We just bought our boys a cheap desktop (emachine) windows vista and a laptop (toshiba satellite) with windows vista and have a HP with windows xp ,but we haven't bought a router yet (only the HP desktop is hooked up know) so need to know the best and what we will need to invest in wired,wireless ,plug in ,us the usb port, Linksys g or n?? HELP:confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 5, 2007, 07:40 AM
    There are several good brands; Linksys, Netgear, Belkin, D-Link are the leaders. I tend to prefer Linsys and have had very good experience with their tech support.

Whether you go G or N depends on what you want in distance and speed. If the PCs have built in G adapters, then you aren't going to get much out of the N routers.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2007, 08:18 AM
    Unlike Scott, I have had poor customer support from Linksys and their products didn't work.
    A print server and a switch. The print server had all sorts of issues and had to be replaced with a Troy. That company actually worked with me to get my printer supported. It took a while.

I also owned a switch which would hang and require a power on reset.

Dyndns.org has had similar kinds of issues with Linksys routers.

See DynDNS -- News -- Service Availability Notice For Linksys Router Owners
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 5, 2007, 08:55 AM
    Hmm weird. I've had three or four occasions to call Linksys tech support. Each time, the tect was able to resolve the issue, which was generally configuration not the product themselves. I've had 3 different routers (started with a wired, then added a wireless G and recently upgraded to an N) and all worked great.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting a laptop and an xbox to the router using I line [ 2 Answers ]

How can I connect a laptop and xbox to a router using only 1 line with out losing strength

Have desktop hooked to router and need to get my laptop working wirelessly [ 6 Answers ]

I have a HP desktop that is hooked to a D-Link router. Just bought a new Lenovo laptop. The laptop connects to the internet if I run a cable f mthe router to the laptop. How do I get my laptop to detect the internet wirelessly??

Laptop can't see Netgear wireless router in same room [ 3 Answers ]

I am getting excellent wireless connectivity between (XP Home) laptop and Netgear Router/modem (connected by ethernet cable to my (XP Pro) PC) between 2 floors, but have another laptop (XP Home) in same room as router, which doesn't see router/network, etc. This laptop has an Intel Pro wireless...

1 PC & 1 Laptop & 1 ADSL Router [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I Just Bought A Laptop With A Wireless Card And I Want To Add It To My Network That I Already Own... I Have A Pc Wirelessly Connected To An Adsl Router.. I Managed To Connect The Laptop To The Router, Pretty Easy But I Want To Make The 2 Pc To Be Connected Also... in Order To Exchange Files...

Laptop, desktop,and router hookup [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought a dell laptop and a linksys router. I got the router installed on my laptop and it works fine. Problem is, now my desktop won't connect to the internet. I know I have something hooked up wrong. HELP!

View more questions Search