Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    julieandrews Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2007, 12:43 AM
    Do I need to buy a present for the host of a christmas bbq party?
    Sorry if this is in the wrong topic but I just want to know!
    Its not a business thing, just informal
    But still...
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2007, 12:46 AM
    I don't think that you have to buy a present. I would think that whether you did or not would be up to you. Is the person who is having the party asking anyone who is coming to bring anything such as supplies or food to the party?

Dec 5, 2007, 12:48 AM
    No they haven't ask us to bring anything... but do you think I should bring something to nibble on?
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2007, 12:54 AM
    I would ask the host if you could bring any food in order to help with the costs. When I give parties, I always ask people to bring stuff. If you do bring something to nibble on without them asking, some hosts might consider that to be rude.

If he or she says "No." then that doesn't mean that you can't bring a simple decoration of some kind to give as a gift to them. Could be Christmas ornaments, a candle and/or holder, etc.
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2007, 12:57 AM
    Just an additional thought. If there are printed invitations to the party, what does it say on the invitations?

Dec 5, 2007, 01:52 AM
    Pretty much just says
    When:
    Where:
    What: christmas bbq party
    RSVP:

Hope to see you there

By the way thanks for the help
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2007, 02:09 AM
    I'm sorry that it took so long to get back to you! Was helping someone else in another section.

You are welcome for the help!

So, are you going to ask the host if there is anything that you might bring for the party?

Also, I'm just wondering. Is the person who is hosting the party married and/or about the same age as you?

Dec 5, 2007, 02:26 AM
    Yes, I will ask the host! Who is single..
    We are about the same age, and guests will mostly be our age.
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2007, 02:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by julieandrews
    yes, i will ask the host! who is single..
    we are about the same age, and guests will mostly be our age.
    Because of that fact, it will be more likely that the host will agree to you bringing something else for the guests. What about also offering to help set things up? Moving furniture around, setting things up, etc.
    seradee Posts: 29, Reputation: 6

Dec 7, 2007, 01:26 AM
    Only my opinion, but growing up no matter what my Grandma always always brought something when we came visiting--whether it was a party, or just visiting at someone's house on a Saturday to watch TV. I don't know if its some sort of coustom because she always told me that when you go to someone's home you should bring them a gift to give so your hosts are being thanked for the invitation. It does not have to be fancy--I would probably bring like a simple set of cloth table napkins and a bottle of wine. If anything, your host/hostess wold be flatterd that you thougt of them on the way over.
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2007, 01:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by seradee
    Only my personal opinion, but growing up no matter what my Grandma always always brought somthing when we came visiting--whether it was a party, or just visiting at someones house on a saturday to watch tv. I dont know if its some sort of coustom because she always told me that when you go to someones home you should bring them a gift to give so your hosts are being thanked for the invitation. It does not have to be fancy--I would probably bring like a simple set of cloth table napkins and a bottle of wine. If anything, your host/hostess wold be flatterd that you thougt of them on the way over.
    Very good points made in the above post!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't Host On Warcraft 3 (Again.) [ 3 Answers ]

Ugh. This is a bunch of crap. Okay, so I'm one of those Westell 6100 DSL users that HAD a problem hosting due to port errors. However, I found a way to get into the port and make it so I could host and everything was fine for months up until last night. All of a sudden, no one was able to join...

Baby shower host [ 5 Answers ]

For various reasons, I am considering hosting a baby shower for my daughter. I've read some information on the web saying it's perfectly OK for a grandmother-to-be to host a shower, but I guess I've always thought that etiquette dictated that mothers of the guest of honor should not host a...

Your Top Christmas Carols & Christmas Songs [ 38 Answers ]

Ok it's that time of year when the holidays are around :) and I was just thinking what are people's top Carols or Chritmas songs that they like? Christmas songs for me would be The Pogues, Fairytale of New York ;) and my Christmas Carol would have to be Joy To The World :) ! Please feel...

To host or not to host out of town guests? [ 2 Answers ]

Is it considered rude to suggest family members to stay at a hotel when they come to your state for a visit? My husband and I live near a "tourist-y" city. We both work full time jobs with long hours. His brother mentioned he would like to visit soon when their boys get a bit older. I...

View more questions Search