Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TS804 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2005, 10:06 AM
    Tonsil stones
    Hi! I have had tonsil stones for a couple years now. They have only within the past year gotten all too fairly common. I have mastered the art of removing them with a q-tip. But I was wondering if anyone could offer a way to PREVENT them from forming.
    Thanks!
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Dec 10, 2005, 12:00 PM
    I have read that they only form, it you have your tonsils. You can try reading Tonsilstones.com it may be of some help to you.
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 10, 2005, 12:02 PM
    lilfyre, would they remove your tonsils so the stones can't come back?
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2005, 12:08 PM
    I've had those all my life and never knew what they were or that they had a name! I tried to explain them to a doctor once to no avail. As a kid I used to call them "peanuts" because to me they looked like chewed up peanuts.. gross! Anyway thanks for giving a name to them... at least I know I'm not crazy. I will check out the site provided too!
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Dec 10, 2005, 12:11 PM
    They will keep coming back as long as you have your tonsils. There are certain things you can do to stop them, as you get older it is not good to remove your tonsils, I am not sure why, I know they told my husband, they would rather not take them out at his age.
    ali_squidz Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jan 22, 2006, 07:19 PM
    Hey guys. I have this. To dig them out, cut a straw to a point. It will take them right out. To prevent this, I have found using ONLY LISTERINE TOOTHPASTE 2 times a day does the trick. It doesn't come back! Hope this helps! Here's my email with questions if you have any! [email protected] Alicia
    SonOfALink Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2006, 06:21 PM
    Monoject syringes! That's what I use. Just fill them with water, get them as close to the stone as you can and blast them out! Painless too!

I've found, by the way, that eating nuts is a surefire way for me to get some of those nasty suckers.

Anyway, for all interested I'm starting a page dedicated to tonsil stones (a lot of the pages I've seen are actually created to sell stuff like Therabreath)... There isn't a lot there, just a survey, some links, and a forum. Anyway, its at www.tonsilstones.org for those interested!

I created it in the hopes that one day I can get rid of those tonsil stones without getting rid of my tonsils!!
    Kerri Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Jun 23, 2007, 07:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SonOfALink
    Monoject syringes! Thats what I use. Just fill them with water, get them as close to the stone as you can and blast them out! Painless too!

I've found, by the way, that eating nuts is a surefire way for me to get some of those nasty suckers.

Anyway, for all interested I'm starting a page dedicated to tonsil stones (a lot of the pages I've seen are actually created to sell stuff like Therabreath)... There isn't a lot there, just a survey, some links, and a forum. Anyway, its at TonsilStones.org for those interested!

I created it in the hopes that one day I can get rid of those tonsil stones without getting rid of my tonsils!!!
    I had the same problem and the little suckers stink bad,I ended up getting my tonsils removed.
    munnacanada Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2007, 10:26 PM
    Your best bet is to make sure that you clear off the forming stones regularly at night with a very blunt thing like a spoon, by pressing on the sides and waiting for the stones to eject out of the crypts."Please make sure that you do this atraumatically".Listerine gargles are fine after extruding the stones.

Sure way of prevention is Tonsillar cryptotomy or tonsillectomy.
    jeremy88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2007, 11:24 AM
    Hello board, unfortunately I got this problem like the rest.. choosing to post my input on the subject here as this was one of the first results on a Google search for "tonsil stones". If you have this problem, and suffer from sorethroats and the like.. do NOT attempt to remove these things off the surface of the tonsils if a gentle scrub from a toothbrush won't suffice... these things will likely wash down while drinking liquids and your tonsils will likely bleed if you remove them by any other means. I have even attempted carefully removing them by using tweezer-like tools. They will still bleed, those guys will come off when they are ready to and aren't likely the culprit for most of the discomfort anyway.
    Unfortunately the tonsil stones in the crypts (around the outside wall of your tonsils inside your mouth) will buildup a lot worse.. I've heard/read about quite a few techniques for getting rid of these things, personally I use a pair of "scissors" that have forceps-like teeth on the end instead and no blades of course.. (not sure what they're technically called but it's a very useful tool I've found)
    Anyway, I clamp a smaller paperclip inside the teeth of these things.. and GENTLY/SLOWLY slide the paperclip towards the wall of my throat behind the tonsil.. starting more at the front of the crevice.. and working it around the top, and then the back of the tonsil.. pushing out the gross stuff in the process.. and spit it out. I can't stress enough to be very gentle here... being forceful and you're going to cause bleeding.. (most likely very mild, but it's generally avoidable. And of course, sterelize any tools you're going to be inserting your mouth, and wash your hands thoroughly.. especially since there is a decent chance of minimal bleeding, and you don't want to magnify the problem.
    This alone will usually alleviate the swollen tonsil feeling, but I wouldn't consider this a permanent solution.
    As for a long term solution, I only have a few recommendations at this point, as I just started to experience this problem again. Switching to a toothpaste that doesn't cause the mouth to dry out, nasal saline drops/spray, changes to diet, quitting smoking, gargling a 1:1 ratio of water/hydrogen perxodie, are all things likely to help this problem based on a bit of research I've done. But I can tell you that this problem completely went away for me when I quit smoking cigarettes for 8 months, didn't consume caffeinated/alcoholic beverages (All of which will dry your mouth out).
    Especially if you're a smoker, you're likely going to have a dry mouth.. an honest effort to consume water regularly, especially after brushing your teeth/using mouthwash, but routinely throughout the day, should help by not only reducing the drymouth problem, but water doesn't leave flavors/residues behind in your mouth for bacterias to take residence in (like caffeinated/flavored drinks).
    Anyway, sorry for the long post with bad structure, but I hope my advice helps somebody and makes it worth the messy read!
    crazyeli125 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2007, 06:05 PM
    Hey I'm only 11 I have had them but haven't noticed till now but have coughfed them up had no idea what was wrong:confused:
    crazyeli125 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2007, 06:07 PM
    I've had these a while I had no idea what they were I coghfed them up a few time had no I dea they were there or what they where
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2007, 08:09 PM
    Try taking magnesium and vitamin D everyday Don't cut out calcium it needs to be a ratio around 600 calcium/300 magnesium and the D
    Most often stones and bone spurs are caused by calcium deposits. Taking magnesium evenly distributes calcium so it can't deposit in any one place.

Preventions Healing with Vitamins Kidney Stones
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2007, 10:26 AM
    Forgot to mention drink purified water with some squeezed lemon juice once a morning too.
    tonsilhelp Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2009, 10:43 PM
    Heya, I've suffered from these as well for a long time. Just as another person said I'm tired of all the therabreath and "advertising related" sites out there.

I found a couple good remedies that work well from this Tonsil Stones site

good luck =]
    RPHadvice Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2011, 06:37 PM
    I did a lot of research and found out a really simple way to get rid of tonsil stones & keep them out! You will have to go out and purchase dr Katz toothpaste & mouthwash; also cologate oxygen rinse (look at the back for active ingredient which is hydrogen peroxide); and lastly, a tongue scraper. First; remove the stones from back of throat with whatever means; usually a cotton swab; then brush with toothpaste both palate & tongue. Use tongue scraper as far back as you can and scrape off all white stuff. The rinse with dr Katz mouthwash. Do this every night. In the morning; rinse with cologate wash. The oxygen in these items will kill anaerobic bacteria causing the sulphur buildup which causes the stones. I'm a pharmacist and I hope this helps. These things can be purchased from any drug store for less than $15 I.e. Walgreens

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gall stones [ 1 Answers ]

Can you pass gall stones? I have had a sharp pain in the lower left side of my stomach, also have heartburn and feel nausea no fever. I passed 2 grayish whitish "stones" and some other nasty stuff.

Rolling stones and super bowl [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know how much the rolling stones will be paid for super bowl xl?

Kidney stones? [ 2 Answers ]

HI, Just hoping for help with problem my mom is having. She's been experiencing some weird symptoms lately, but her doctor won't give her an appt. for several weeks. But my mom is still worried about what is causing them. THe last week or so she has been having severe "charlie horse" cramps in...

Bladder Stones [ 4 Answers ]

My Miniature Schnauzer has a bladder stone and is awaiting surgery (I have a popular vet with a tight schedule). I have been unable to reach him today and need to know if there is anything I can give her for pain from the spasms. She weighs 25 pounds. (I KNOW! She likes to eat!) If there is...

View more questions Search