Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ABChrist Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2007, 08:53 PM
    HIPAA Rule Conflict
    I am a health care professional. I work for a large organization. I recently worked with a family with a variety of personal problems and needed to get another health care professional to work with one of nonverbal members of the family to provide a very necessary service. I felt it was important to explain some of the family's personal issues in order for the healthcare professional to work with them, as they take offense easily and I wished for the second health care professional to avoid conflict so he/she could provide the very necessary service without being asked to leave. My agency has said that I violated the HIPAA rule in this communication. Any ideas of the truth of this statement?
    Thanks.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2007, 09:02 PM
    You are not supposed to talk to another doctor/professional/person in general about someone's issues, problems, etc. whether they will be helping one day or not, that's what the charts are supposed to be for, I believe.

That's probably wy they said you violated HIPAA.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 4, 2007, 09:02 PM
    One health care professoinal can disucss a case with another health care professoinal working on the same case.

i.e. day nurse tells evening nurse what ha happened, doctor explains to nurse what is needed, nurse tells doctor what is happening,

Now if you did not get permission for this other health care worker, if they are not part of your company, and if the family did not know they were getting this other person to help, and if you told this person things that was not actually needed to be told.

Also what offense, if it is not about the acutal medical condition, you can tell them about customs, and items social needs, not related to the actual medical care.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Dec 11, 2007, 09:56 AM
    I have worked for several years in a similar capacity as you've mentioned for a health care clinic and hospital.

You are free to discuss necessary information with any other professional who is being asked to take part in that case. Anything you decide would help your coworker in dealing with this family is allowed so they are well-informed and prepared to deal appropriately.

HIPAA becomes an issue if you were to discuss it with anyone (healthcare pro or not) that did NOT have anything to do with the case.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Dec 11, 2007, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by charlotte234s
    You are not supposed to talk to another doctor/professional/person in general about someone's issues, problems, etc. whether they will be helping one day or not, that's what the charts are supposed to be for, I believe.

That's probably wy they said you violated HIPAA.
    In general, no. The nurses in my office cannot just walk up to me and start blabbing about Mr. Jones financial info, diagnosis, etc.

If however, I am included in his care, I am privy to any and all information that can be shared related to my professional capacity. (For example: I don't deal with finances, so no need to tell me his insurance info. I DO deal with hands-on care, so I should know diagnosis, right along with mental/emotional status)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Possible ip conflict [ 5 Answers ]

I am connected to a wireless network some 500 meters distant using a wireless pci adapter with an external antenna. My system is windows xp professional 'new' edition. I originally set this up using a qpcom wireless pci adapter 802.11g. Due to the weak signal that I received, I changed the...

IP conflict ? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I've a LAN with a DC, it seems that someone has changed the IP address of his computer to be static, and it seems also that he assigned an IP address like the server one 192.168.123.2. The problem is that, I do receive an error message on the server console stating that there's an...

Keyboard conflict [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I'm having a little harware problem with my computer. Everything was fine last week, and then my internet got blocked for a few days. After it was working again, I couldn't get my mouse and keyboard working toegther. Both are fine. I know the keyboard is OK because: -If I restart my...

Family conflict [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I would like to know about a situation where as my mother was very ill and my sister took upon herself to put herself down as power of attourney having signed up legally... well now my mother is recovering and asking question s about what's going on... my sister has changed the house locks...

View more questions Search