Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Zhvonte Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2007, 05:52 PM
    Procedures to early withdrawl on 401k due to disability
    I am 34 years old and I am in the middle of getting approved for visual disability. Once I am approved for SSDI, I am aware that I will be able to cash out my 401k without the 10% penalties. In doing so, what measures do I need to take to ensure the 10% early withdrawal penalty is not enacted. Any help to would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Marshall
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 5, 2007, 07:48 AM
    The 10% penalty is not automatically withheld when you get the distribution. What happens is the administrator will automatically withhold 20% for income taxes from your distribution (sorry, this is taxable income regardless of whether you avoid the additional 10% penalty or not), and at the end of the year they will send you a 1099-R form that reports the distribution and taxes withheld. When you do your taxes come April, you report the distribution as regular income, and the 20% withholding as taxes already paid. Now, your administrator may be savvy enough to check off box 7 on the 1099-R which indicates that this withdrawal is not subject to the 10% penalty. If so, all is well. If not, then you need to attach form 5329 to your return, which is where you give your reason for the exception to the 10% penalty.

Here's a web site that explains it better than I:
    Early Withdrawal of IRA, 401K & Other Retirement Accounts - Tax on Early Distributions

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k early withdrawal [ 5 Answers ]

We withdrew in August 2006 my wife's 401k to pay off bills. She has been off work for two years. A Social Security Judge in March 2007 declared her disabled and unable to work. We will be receieving a settlement from Social Security. We were told that since she was disabled there would not be a...

Early 401k withdrawal [ 2 Answers ]

Last year (2006) I withdrew all of my 401 k from my former employer. How do I account for this in filing my taxes and how does the 10% early withdrawel get factored in. The company already withheld 20%

401K Early withdrawal [ 5 Answers ]

My wife will not listen to me! She feels that we need the money from a previous employers 401K plan to help with paying our bills since she doesn't make much money anymore. She only has about $8,000.00 in there and according to the way I see it, she will need to have 20% fed. Tax withheld, and 8%...

401k early withdrawal [ 4 Answers ]

The plant that I currently work at is closing down. I have a 401(k) that currently has $16,000 in it. I am 48 years old. What kind of penalties am I looking at if I pull all the money out when the plant closes? Approximately how much in taxes will I be paying at the end of the year? I have made...

401K early withdrawal [ 4 Answers ]

I am in a 401K plan at my work and have been advised our company does not have it where you can get a loan. I need to make withdrawl funds from my 401k to handle some legal fees for a custody battle. Can I just and pay a penalty?

View more questions Search