Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    candika Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2007, 04:36 PM
    Gas Furnace, No spark, no heat--fuse or transformer?
    Hi

My thermostat was accidentally knocked-off the wall--it didn't work and so I purchased a new thermostat (a simple digital thermostat, non-programmable). This too did not work. It's a 2-wire system hooked-up to a simple Rh/W config. It was set on Heat and Fan "On" and at a normal 70 F. Nothing. No spark, no nuthin. Removed the batteries and received no digital signal so I figured that no signal was running through.

From what little I've read, it may be a transformer, but I also read that maybe it's the fuse attached? The only fuse I know about is attached to the main switch--on/off, that is. If it is a transformer how difficult is it to do oneself? Otherwise I have to pay at least $200.

Oh, also my furnace is new and has no pilot. Help? Any Suggestions? Many Thanks in advance... Candika
    hixton Posts: 146, Reputation: 5

Dec 4, 2007, 04:57 PM
    There is a fuse on the board in the furnace sometimes it looks like a car fuse 3 amp some are located in the blower compartment also check your blower door to make sure it's pushing in on the door switch see if that helps if not write back
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2007, 06:40 PM
    If you connect the two wires together can you get the furnace to come on? If so the problem is the thermostat if not you may a blown fuse in the furnace. At the furnace you should see a lite in the control compartment indicating you have power or flashing a fault code.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2007, 08:40 PM
    If no light, see https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...ons-58313.html

It has a picture of a typical fuse.

The transformer is no big deal. Two wires to the power from the house, and 2 wires to the board, and few screws in the base. Available at hardwares, big box stores, HVAC supplies, and Radio Shack. Make sure the VA rating matches or exceeds the old one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump transformer [ 3 Answers ]

Where is the transformer and what does it look like and how can I tell if it is bad?

Turning on AC blows control board fuse and 24v transformer [ 15 Answers ]

I read https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heating-air-conditioning/c-keeps-blowing-fuse-95884.html which was very informative. My issue is with a Carrier Weathermaster 8000 furnace and York AC. The heat works fine, the fan only works fine, I turn on the AC and the LED blinks code 34. I replace the...

Transformer for heat/air [ 1 Answers ]

What is a transformer in the heating and air conditioning unit? What is a ball park cost of transformer?

Comfortmaker Furnace Fan blows in line fuse and will not allow furnace to work [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Comfortmaker Furnace (approximately 1998/99) and the fan will not turn on allow the furnace to heat. When I try to turn the furnace on it blows a 3 amp fuse at the blower motor. I removed the fuse and jumped it and all it will do is make a faint buzzing noise and not turn on. I can...

Wiring from transformer to heat only thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I have a honeywell hot water heat system(condo) with a control valve for the water, a transformer to supply power to the valve and a thermostat. The power supply was disconnected and I now need to reconnect a new transformer into the system. I have tried to use a 40VA transformer but I am concerned...

View more questions Search