Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shoooonuf Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2007, 04:28 PM
    2006 Civic, Another brake issue
    I replaced the front brake pads on my Civic, but now the pedal is very loose and it takes me pushing it all the way to the floor to stop the car. Do I need to bleed the lines?
    Duane in Japan Posts: 282, Reputation: 8

Dec 4, 2007, 06:11 PM
    Did you open a line or bleeder port during your brake job. Can you pump the pedal several times in succession to get a stiff pedal, does it get soft again later? When you pushed the piston back into the caliper, did the seal leak. When you push on the brake pedal now, is the piston on both sides working, maybe one is stuck. Answer these and the answer will follow.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Hopefully, no damage was done to the braking system, before removing the cap to the master cylinder reservoir. If you don't remove the cap, first, it's possible to damage the ABS or seals in the brake system.

Dec 4, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane in Japan
    Did you open a line or bleeder port during your brake job. Can you pump the pedal several times in succession to get a stiff pedal, does it get soft again later? When you pushed the piston back into the caliper, did the seal leak. When you push on the brake pedal now, is the piston on both sides working, maybe one is stuck. Answer these and the answer will follow.
    I didn't open any line, but there was some fluid leaking when pushing the piston back in. When I pump the pedal, it gets stiff, but then after starting the car it is soft again later. The piston on both sides appears to be working.
    Duane in Japan Posts: 282, Reputation: 8

Dec 6, 2007, 02:25 AM
    I believe that air got in through the leaking piston seal, the leak you saw made its way through two seals, the REAL piston seal and then the dust seal THEN you saw a leak, bleed the brakes and it should fix it up but BEWARE, brakes are nothing to play with, if you don't feel comfortable change the calipers and rubber hoses for safety. Most of all for the moment, be prepared for total brake failure so do your stopping early and don't wait till you are too close to rearend someone.

Dec 6, 2007, 02:28 AM
    Thanks for your help guys. I did bleed them and everything has been working like a charm.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2006 Honda Civic.Can't collapse brake caliper [ 3 Answers ]

I'm replacing the front brake pads on a 2006 Civic. I did the right side, no problem. When I tried to collapse the piston on the left side, it will not budge. Any ideas?

How to replace brake lights of 2006 Toyta Camery [ 1 Answers ]

I have to replace two bulbs on brake lights. One at the rear (driver side) and the other is third brake light on the top.

Away for 5 months in 2006 - H1 Tax issue [ 7 Answers ]

HI, I have been on a H1-B visa since Oct 05. During 2006 I was in India on work from the end of May until the 13th or so of October. What tax form do I need to file for this year?

2000 Civic EX Brake clicking [ 3 Answers ]

About 4 months ago I had the front brake pads on my 2000 civic ex replaced and the rotors turned. As soon as the 90 day parts & labor warranty expired I began to notice a clicking noise in the brakes whenever I go to stop. Anybody have any idea what may cause this?

View more questions Search