Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2007, 06:06 PM
    So are you saying that it isn't a star, that's causing the gravity at the other end, because there is no way that that's just our sun alone
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2007, 02:02 AM
    Yes I'm saying it isn't a star, there's nothing else there. Why do you have this idea that there is "no way" it's just our Sun? It seems perfectly possible to me, and hundreds of thousands of other scientists.

Have you studied gravitational attraction?
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2007, 03:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Yes i'm saying it isn't a star, there's nothing else there. Why do you have this idea that there is "no way" it's just our Sun? It seems perfectly possible to me, and hundreds of thousands of other scientists.

Have you studied gravitational attraction?
    Yes and I think that at that distance the gravitational pull from our sun would not be enough to cause such curvature for it to have that line of orbit.
    To me and many hundred other scientists
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2007, 05:31 AM
    It's moving very slowly out at that distance. It takes 12,000 years to make a single orbit. It has enough time for even a small force to pull it around.
    Old_Fart Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Dec 17, 2007, 02:53 PM
    Let me throw some fuel on this fire.

Why is Neptune a planet? It hasn't cleared it's orbit. It fights for the same space (literally) as Pluto. I will agree that Pluto and Neptune are locked in a 3:2 orbit ratio so they are never in the same space at the same time. But I don't see anything in the definition about timing.

Jupiter shares its orbit with an entourage of asteroids that follow and precede it by about 60 degrees in its orbit. These are called "Trojan" asteroids. Gravitational nudges from other planets sometimes change the membership of these clusters, tossing some out and introducing new ones, but the definition doesn't say how long an object has to share an orbit to consider the orbit as being shared and not cleared.

For that matter. Earth hasn't done such a good job clearing it's orbit either. Ask the dinosaurs. OK, so collisions of that maginitude only happen every tens or hundreds of millions of years. Suppose they only happed every million years, or thousand, or hundred, or annually or twice a month? Should we cancel the NEAR project because, as an official "planet," Earth is by definition, clear of other objects? Again the definition is lacking.

The best "suggestion" I've seen includes relative mass. If an object has more than 1,000 times the combined mass of all the other objects with which it shares an orbit then it can be considered as having cleared its orbit. Then the debate becomes what number do you pick, 10, 1,000 or 1,000,000?

This "modification" to the definition allows Neptune to be a planet while Pluto is not even though they have intersecting orbits.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Planet X? [ 3 Answers ]

I've come across a site, www.zetatalk.com, which talks about the passage of a planet known as the 12th planet, and is referred to as "Planet X" in other places. What's the deal about it?

Mass of planet [ 1 Answers ]

Captain Kirk and spock are sitting on an uncharted planet whose diameter is 2400 km. but whose mass is not. If the normally 95 kg Kirk is found to weight 105 N on this planet, what is the mass of the planet?

Unique Planet [ 5 Answers ]

Why we will say that our earth is a unique planet ?

Is it a planet? [ 2 Answers ]

Right now(4:00AM) in Wyoming, in the north eastern part of the sky, just above the horizon there is a HUGE bright star that seems to pulsate(twinkle) When I first saw it I thought it was a UFO! It is very prominent in the sky. Does anyone know if this is a planet or just a very large star? Okay...

View more questions Search