Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marshab Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2007, 03:18 PM
    Confused about diability
    My doctor has been trying to talk me into applying for disability for the last 2 years. I finally feel the time has come when I really have no choice unfortunately. But I am also worried. Will I have to loose everything my husband and I have worked for to go on disability. We are not in our 60's yet and we don't want SSI. I am confused about the difference and is getting on disability based on our assets etc.
    HELP THIS CONUFSED LADY PLEASE. My husband and I have worked very hard for what we have and I don't want to compromise it.
    Thanks
    Marsha:(
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2007, 03:41 PM
    No it is not based on your assets (other than maybe your cash type assets) and you shouldn't lose anything. If you are too well off to receive it the most they can do is turn you down.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 4, 2007, 06:37 PM
    No, assests have nothing to do with it, it is payment under social security for your inability to work. It is easier to get these payments ifyou apply for it, with the help of an attorney.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2007, 02:39 AM
    I agree with the above. If you are not able to work, it won't hurt to apply for disability. And, yes, it's easier to have a lawyer's help. But lawyers want your money! If you research really well, find others with your condition who have successfully applied for and been awarded benefits to help, you have a good chance of filing yourself. The reason it is such a pain is that the SSA wants information they do not ask for. Then, you get turned down for an incomplete claim. Then you must appeal. Then you wait, months, years...

One other thing, if you decide to apply, remember that you're writing a "doctor's report", a journalistic, descriptions of symptoms, all on a computer form that has character limits. Go to the limits if need be and send them additional information (that wouldn't fit) too. As you work on the application, self doubt and worry may set in. There you are, describing to complete strangers what's "wrong" with you, why you aren't able to work. That takes intestinal fortitude.

All the time you have worked, the Social Security Administration has been taking money out of your checks. They take money for this insurance, use it. It is yours.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Very confused [ 5 Answers ]

I've bought a lexmark printer 2months ago and just recently it's saying that I have a black ink cartridge missing when I'm about to print,but I don't so can anyone please enlighten me with this problem I've tried everything.:confused: :confused: :confused: Jaynee:confused:

Diability income and lawsuits [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I live in Ind. And I am being taken to court over a credit card debt under $2000. My only source of income is a diability pension from the Post Office. Can my bank account be frozen or garnished or can my possessions be taken? Thanks

I'm so confused now [ 2 Answers ]

OK so I posted a month back abou the break my ex and I did time passed and we started talking again its so weird when we are togther we act like a couple again but we still are not together I need to know how I can get her back cause this single thing is killing me and I can't bring myself to...

I'm Confused [ 1 Answers ]

This question is going to be very long and I apologize for that, but please answer it. I need some good advice. I moved in the 7th grade and started a new school.About midway through the school year I met a girl named Stephanie that had a lot in common with me. We both liked the same things and...

I'm so confused [ 6 Answers ]

I was dating a guy for 2 months. All was going well on my side and as far as I could tell on his side too, he was telling me that he hasn't been so happy in along time and his soul was content. We did have a issue a few weeks into dating where he told me that he wanted to remain friends with his...

View more questions Search