Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicole89 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2007, 12:00 PM
    Can I claim my newborn?
    I am 18 and had my daughter Nov 4th my first question is can I claim her on my taxes for 2007. How much will I get back for her? How is this determined? I am not married and I worked on my last job for 9mths? Should I claim single or head of house whole I'm kind of confused.
    suepick517 Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Dec 4, 2007, 12:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nicole89
    I am 18 and had my daughter Nov 4th my first question is can i claim her on my taxes for 2007.? How much will i get back for her? How is this determined? I am not married and i worked on my last job for 9mths? should i claim single or head of house whole i'm kind of confused.
    Yes you can! I had my first son at 19 and was working during the year. Although I lived at home with my parents, my accountant said I can claim "head of household" since it is kind of me and my son. Which was awesome because I got the earned income credit and got a nice size refund! You can claim a "dependant" as long as they were born within the year 2007.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 5, 2007, 01:52 AM
    1. Can someone claim you a dependent? Your parents may claim you a dependent if you lived with them for more than half of the year and they provided more than half of your support.
    If someone can claim you a dependent, you can't claim your own exemption. You can't claim a dependent. Your filing status is Single Dependent.
    2. You can't file as Head of Household if you are a dependent.
    3. If your parents can claim you a dependent, they can also claim exemption for your daughter.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 5, 2007, 12:52 PM
    MukatA's points are valid and well stated!
    rheadergin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2011, 08:44 PM
    I have my baby in march 2012 can I claim him on 2011taxes
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 28, 2011, 06:35 AM
    If 2012 is NOT a typo, then no. The child is NOT born yet and cannot be claimed on the 2011 tax return.

Now, if the child was born in March 2011, then, yes, you can claim him.
    tmckibben Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2011, 10:56 PM
    I had my baby in oct of 2011 can I claim my baby in 2011?
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 3, 2011, 08:08 AM
    TMCKIBBEN:

Next time, start a new question; do NOT add to one already posted.

Yes, you can claim the child IF you have taxable income.

David Kempe
    manuelcrespo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2012, 09:56 PM
    Can I claim my child who was born the 29th of December 2011
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 10, 2012, 07:49 AM
    Yes, you can claim your newborn if he/she was born ANYTIME in 2011.
    huskergirl626 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2013, 09:06 PM
    I am single and had a baby in October 2012. I understand I can claim my newborn as a dependent but can I claim head of household since the baby was not 6 months old as of 12/31/12?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 9, 2013, 01:08 PM
    Yes, you CAN claim Head of Household if you have your own apartment or house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My newborn baby [ 13 Answers ]

My 6 week old son has really bad gas and is constipated.Its hard to get him to sleep at night because the gas and constipation keeps him up... I give him gas medicine but he still has a lot of gas.What could I do about the gas and constipation?? :confused:

Newborn kitten [ 3 Answers ]

My cat just gave birth to one kitten, but the kitten appears lifeless, how do I know for sure if its alive?

A Newborn Baby [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I Would Like To Know The Minimum Age Requirement Of A Qualifying Child Because I Had My Daughter On Oct, 19 2006. Will I Be Able To Claim Her For The Year Of 2006? I Mean She Was In My Stomach The Entire Year So Does That Count As EIC?:confused:

Newborn kittens [ 2 Answers ]

My female cat gave birth to 4 kittens approximately 5 hours ago and is ignoring them. She goes into the box if someone goes into the room but other than that she seems more concerned with her 4 month old kittens, bathing and mothering them. Any help?

Newborn kittens [ 4 Answers ]

My 9 month old kitten has just had kittens(:eek: ) but she keeps leaving them and wondering around the house everyhour or so is this normal or is she rejecting them although she is still feeding them. And also when can we pick the kittens up and stroke them.

View more questions Search