Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    calliewallie Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2007, 07:56 AM
    Adding insulation to existing 2nd story room
    :rolleyes: Hope someone can help! A second story room is MUCH colder in winter and MUCH warmer in summer - was finished out after we bought the home... have had the duct worked checked out and is OK and the attic insulation is acceptable I am thinking that I need to " add " more insulation - How do I add more insulation to a room that is already finished ? How do I get behind the walls ? Is there a "paint" product that would insulate the room? Thanks in advance!
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Dec 4, 2007, 08:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by calliewallie
    :rolleyes: Hope someone can help! a second story room is MUCH colder in winter and MUCH warmer in summer - was finished out after we bought the home ... have had the duct worked checked out and is OK and the attic insulation is acceptable I am thinking that I need to " add " more insulation - How do I add more insulation to a room that is already finished ? how do I get behind the walls ? is there a "paint" product that would insulate the room? thanks in advance!
    If you are talking about the walls, there is a blown-in insulation that can be injected into the walls. The only problem I see with this, is knowing where more insulation is needed and how much is enough: you can't see inside the walls. Was insulation installed before it was finished? How is the attic insulation acceptable? To what R-value?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2007, 08:16 AM
    I heard a man on a radio show discussing this and a contractor called in and suggested adding 2 x 2s to the interior and adding another layer of insulation then drywalling over that. I don't know if you want to go to that much trouble, though.

I've also seen on home improvement shows where they cut a small hole in the wall and blow loose fill insulation into the cavities.

Good Luck!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 4, 2007, 09:29 AM
    Your most cost effective insulation upgrade would be to add more insulation to the attic. You did not say what is up there now be adequate isn't really clear. R30 or higher will be eay to install compared to opening up a wall or adding 2x2s. Do all of the other enegy stuff too such as caulk windows and doors, add a temporary shrink wrap barrier to the windows.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding toilet to existing rough in [ 1 Answers ]

I am adding a toilet in addition to one that is roughed in so I will have two toilets in the basement when I am done. Do I tie in where the sewer comes in (adding a backflow valve)or can I tie into the existing 3" toilet rough in. Also, I have a middle foundation between the two toilets. Do I go...

Building a roof over an existing sun room [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to size the rafters I need to use to build a roof over an existing sun room. The span is 21 feet from wall to support beams and I'm thinking of using 24' - 2 x 8 for the rafters. The intent is to rarely if ever go out on the roof once it's up, it's merely to insulate the roof of the sun...

Adding attic insulation [ 5 Answers ]

I recently bought a house and want to add insulation to the attic, the existing insulation has the vapor barrier facing down to the sheetrock and there is a section where it appears that there is a silver aluminum vapor facing up. My question is If I want to add at least 3" of insulation what type...

Adding a heater to an existing circuit. [ 3 Answers ]

I want to place a 240V electric base board heater in a room. In the adjacent room I have a conveniently placed electric wall oven by itself on a 50 Amp circuit with 8 gauge wire. The oven is only rated at 30 Amps and the heater at 4.5 amps. So, I want to run wire from the oven to where the...

View more questions Search