Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marcella_mcpherson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2007, 06:54 AM
    Desperate need of custody of siblings!
    I'm 18 and in college in Norfolk, Virginia. I have 2 biological sisters and 5 half siblings. My step dad is very abusive and lately my mom has been very ill and has been instructing me in what to do if something bad happens to her, as in how to use her food stamp card, WIC, child support, etc. If something bad were to happen to my mom I would more than likely be left alone with all the kids because my step dad would leave and if he didn't leave he would take the kids with him (his 3) and I am scared to death of that; he threatens and mistreats them all the time. My other siblings have somewhere to go because there father is a really nice and caring man, and my biological sisters would just follow me wherever I go or go to live with our godparents. The rent for the house is in my mom's name which is $1500 a month and includes utilities. I would be willing to get a job and do whatever it takes to keep my youngest 3 siblings (aged 1, 3, and 4). If something bad happens to my mom I need to know what do I do in order to keep my family together. I don't want them with him or in foster care. My mom has already talked about divorce and custody, if that happens and she leaves the kids to me it would be easy, but if she doesn't get that done in time what should I do? I need help very desperately!!
    Foxy459459 Posts: 368, Reputation: 36

Dec 4, 2007, 07:14 AM
    Where is your father? This is a very sticky situation, because he does have rights to the children that he fathered. If I were you, I would see about getting some legal advice and see what could happen if something happens to your mom, I really hope that she and everything are OK.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 4, 2007, 07:18 AM
    At your age and situation you are unlikely to get custody. So you need to look for alternative guardians until you can get custody.

By the way, if your mom dies, then the food stamps and WIC stops. The child support continues but it goes to the legal guardians.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Arguing and Fighting Siblings [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I are the proud parents of 3 daughters, ages 15, 12 and 5. For the last 5 years, our middle child has been dealing with emotional issues which are actually undefined. She has been tested for bi-polar disorder, undergone counseling and has been medicated with just about all the...

Moms' daughter wants custody of siblings [ 1 Answers ]

My mother has recently devorced my father. Myself and my siblings feel nither parent is capable or sane, and should not get custody. I am oldest of the kids, my sister 19, my brother 16, also have a 12 year-old and 8 year-old. Is there a way for an adult daughter to get custody of my other...

Searching for husbands siblings [ 3 Answers ]

My husband's father has two other children. How do we go about finding them? We can't ask his dad. It is a taboo to talk about them.

Siblings and Inlaws [ 3 Answers ]

I have two older brothers who are both married, and I'm single. My middle brother and I both agree that when my Dad passes away the only people who will be able to make any decisions should be my two brothers and myself. My oldest brother wants his wife to be able to make decisions too. His wife is...

View more questions Search