Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2007, 03:47 AM
    Dead fish washing up on shore!
    What are the possible reasons for fish to die and wash up on shore?

Mostly reef fishes and this has been happening every day for a few months now.

I haven't seen them except in photographs,but I do not think it is due to an oil spill.As far as I know there hasn't been a (big) spill in recent history,but as it is the ocean and boats being common I am sure there are small amounts present.

Experts are being brought in for investigation of this phenomenon,but until then I would like to know what you think are the possibilities.
    Anyone who could shed light on this will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

An excerpt from the local paper...
    "Although a huge variety of reef fish have been reported as dying the prevalent species, almost 98 percent, that are dying are the red-toothed triggerfish, a dark blue bodied fish, ranging up to 50 cm in length. It inhabits open waters and current-swept seaward reefs between 0 to 35 metres (0-115 feet) and can often be seen in groups turning and circling just under the sea surface while feeding on plankton brought in by the current."
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2007, 07:29 AM
    It could be bacteria, an infectious kind of thing, it could be cold or hot water dumping, chemicals, a nmber of things. What are red-toothed riggerfish sensitive to?
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2007, 02:02 PM
    Hey Charlotte,
    I am not sure what they are sensitive to...
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Is there evidence of a red tide?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2007, 09:47 AM
    They say the waters have a lot of mercury and there is off shore oil spills and chemicals.

This site has a lot of stuff about the bees and animals mysteriously dying.
    She has been studying the bees over a year before it ever was on the news.

Earthfiles.com Search
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2007, 12:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    Is there evidence of a red tide?
    Shy,
    I am not sure if there are any evidence of a red tide.As far as I know there has not been any human casualties/skin irritations due to swimming etc.
    There are algae growth differences during the monsoons,maybe it has been affected by global temperatures or maybe the Tsunami had an affect on it.

I was also thinking of the possibilities of a rise in the temperature of the earths core.Maybe frequent earthquake and volcanic activities in the Asian region is affecting the ocean temperatures or currents.
    These are just theories off the top of my head,nothing concrete has been found yet.

NoH4,
    Thanks for the link.
    Goldenwolf Posts: 157, Reputation: 9

Dec 30, 2007, 07:38 AM
    Could it be a bacteria or something with the plankton?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need definitions for dead against /dead mens shoes/ dead marines [ 2 Answers ]

I need help with the definitions of dead against /dead mens shoes/ dead marines for socioloy class . Please help

Fish Floating At The Top Not Dead though what's Wrong? [ 3 Answers ]

My fish keeps on going up to the top of the tank and staying there.I think I've read somewhere that they do this when there over fed but I'm not sure.It acts like it needs to breath fresh air instead of water. It just floats at the top and then dives back down its head is allways pointing up like...

The # of fish a fish tank can hold. [ 3 Answers ]

The number of tropical fish that an aquarium can hold depends on the volume of the fish tank. The interior dimensions of the fish tank below are 28 cm, 49 cm, and 52 cm. Each fish requires 10,000 cubic centimeters of water. How many tropical fish will this fish tank hold?

View more questions Search