Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    randee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2005, 07:00 AM
    Basement Bathroom - NO ROUGH IN
    My husband and I are finishing our basement and the previous owners didn't fork up the money for a rough in. We're only putting in a toilet and sink. The house is only 5 year old. My questions are:

"What are our options for putting in a toilet? Do we have to break up the concrete? What is the most economical? What is the easiest?

Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 9, 2005, 07:19 AM
    Hi Randee,

You're talking about major surgery here. The cement floor will have to jackhammered up and trenches run from the sewer tie in to the fixtures for the drainage. A roof vent will have to be installed that runs from the basement lavatory through the roof. Walls will have to be furred out and drywall installed to hide the water pipes. Since you are tearing up the floor any how you might as well add a shower base and enclosure and make the group complete. Now that you know what's involved do you still want to install a 1/2 bath? If so you're going to need outside help unless you have plumbing skills and tools. Let me know what you decide. Tom
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Dec 9, 2005, 10:47 AM
    If you need to put in a shower/tub as well as a stool and lav, then follow Tom's excellent advice. But, if all you need is a stoll and lav, there is another option.

I was watching a home improvement show a few weeks ago and they were talking about installing a toilet that was below the sewer lines.

It was a macerating and ejection toilet.

That is a nice way of saying that it takes what you give it, chews it up even more and the spits it out.

Here is a link for it: http://www.saniflo.com/products/saniplus.asp

Tom (speedball1) and others may have had some experience with this system.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 9, 2005, 11:07 AM
    Hey Dan,

Thanks for the nice words but the unit that you describe is for a sewer system that's elevated above the basement floor. They would still have to jackhammer up the floor to connect the unit to the sewer in this case. There's just no other way around it. Your idea would work great if there were no basement sewer. That's not the case here. But good thinking on your part. Keep up the good work. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Bathroom Rough-in [ 9 Answers ]

My house (approx 15 yrs old) has a basement bathroom rough-in. It has 3 pipes protruding, one is 4" in diameter, one is 1 3/4" (inside dia.) & the other is 2" in diameter. Assuming, one (4") is for the toilet, one (1 3/4") is for the shower vent and the other (2") is for the shower drain. The...

Basement Bathroom Rough-in [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have a 2 piece rough-in for my basement, but I also want to put in a bathtub. The rough-in includes a 3" abs stub out for the toilet and a 1 1/2" stub out drain that is vented. I'm going to have to break into the concrete... where is the best place to drain into (p trap then into the 3",...

Basement bathroom rough in [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of getting our basement developed and have a question with regards to roughing in for a bathroom. We have a heated floor and wish to put our bathroom in a different location than what was originally roughed in for. We have had a couple of plumbers advise us against doing this...

Yet another basement bathroom rough in [ 7 Answers ]

I apologize in advance for the broken record, but I'm thinking of roughing in a bathroom in my basement myself. I intended on hiring a plumber until I got the first quote :eek: I have a full bathroom roughed in, with a 12"x12" box with a 2" drain for the shower/tub on the far left. In the...

Basement bathroom rough ins [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in the process of developing my basement. There is no rough-in for bathrooms. I'm putting an ensuite attached to a room with a shower, vanity and toilet. Backing on to this bathroom is another 1/2 bathroom with toilet and sink. There was no future vent put in when the house was built making...

View more questions Search