Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pgbhp Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2007, 11:29 PM
    Grounds to be used for shop sub panel
    Have metal pole building about 80 feet from house. I intend to run 100 amp from house panel to sub panel in shop. Originally purchased a cutler hammer mail lug panel CH8L125SP for this use (on sale) but think I would rather have a 100 amp main breaker panel so as to use as single disconnect in the shop, still with 100 amp protection in the house (feed) panel. I have been told that I must have a ground rod (s) at the shop with the metal shop of course bonded to the ground. Do I still need to run a ground wire along with the hot wires and neutral between the house panel and the sub panel? If I do not run this ground, do I then bond the neutral and ground bars inside the sub panel since I will have the ground rod(s) in the earth next to the shop. Thanks for any advice.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Dec 4, 2007, 12:43 AM
    The NEC gives you an option of running 3 or 4 conductors if there are no continuous metallic paths between both structures . Regardless-in your case-you will have to install two ground rods. Note: Some jurisdictions--such as ours--require four conductors. I highly recommend four conductors! The 2008 will require four. If you do not have to run 4 conductors, then the grounded conductor will have to be connected to the grounding electrodes at your separate structure.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Dec 4, 2007, 12:48 AM
    PS: You will need the a main in your case
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2007, 03:39 AM
    Run 4 wire feeder. The 3 wire method will be removed from the next code edition, as mentioned by Washington. The 4 wire method is much better, I agree.

Either still needs a ground rod at the separate building, including grounding the metal building.
    pgbhp Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2007, 01:48 PM
    Thanks Washington1 and TKRussell. Appreciate the quick response. I will go with the 4 wires.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sharing neutral and grounds OK? [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for clarification on sharing neutrals and grounds. When using 12/3 wire for home runs to panel , I believe it is OK to use the black for 1 circuit and the red for another circuit ( say black for plugs in a room and red for lights ). But is there a danger of overloading the neutral and...

Installing a 60 AMP sub panel for a work shop [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 200 AMP main panel for my residence with all the breaker slots filled. I plan on removing 2 20 amp breakers and installing a 1 60 x 2 20 amp consolidated breaker in to the panel. Well at least I am told I can do this. I plan on having 2 240 VAC 30 amp breakers in the shop (one will have...

Neutrals and Grounds in service panel [ 2 Answers ]

I'm wiring everything for my basement in the panel. There are plenty of open spots left. When I look at the existing wiring (for the rest of the house), all the grounds go to the block on the left and all the neutrals go to the block on the right? 1. Is this required? 2. Why or why not? ...

View more questions Search