Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MrsMac2003 Posts: 36, Reputation: 2

Dec 3, 2007, 04:51 PM
    Value of coins with dates worn off
    I have a buffalo nickel that I can't tell what year it was minted. The year has been worn off. I know it was minted between 1913 and 1938.

Can anyone tell me if this nickel still has value even if the date is worn off? I mean, besides face value. :D

Thanks!
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2007, 10:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsMac2003
    I have a buffalo nickel that I can't tell what year it was minted. The year has been worn off. I know it was minted between 1913 and 1938.

Can anyone tell me if this nickel still has value even if the date is worn off? I mean, besides face value. :D

Thanks!
    The only thing I can tell you is to look at the buffalo, and see(Even with date worn off if it ONLY HAS THREE LEGS), Even with the date worn off, it would be worth more then face value. I'M not jokeing there was some minted like this,( IN 1937, D mint, Right front leg missing):confused: :confused: :confused: Good luck ::: F.B.E.

Dec 5, 2007, 10:28 AM
    I checked... :( all four legs present and accounted for...

Thanks anyway!
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2007, 10:51 PM
    MrsMac2003 _ I am sorry that I( can't help you,with your question,but without the date ,I can't help. Try this ( use a strong magnifying , sometimes you can read it this way, if you only could get the last 2 numbers of the date,<I could go from, by the way the coin is made but it won't be worth anythingut ,with date wore off. Another way that I have brought the date out slightelywas to tafe a oiece of whitepaper,lay it on top and lightly go over the date arealightly with a wood pencil and maybe you will bring out some of the date. GOOD LUCK , GOD BLESS;;;;;; F.B.E.

Dec 7, 2007, 04:48 PM
    Thanks anyway! There is absolutely no way to find the date on this coin. It is completely worn down. Looks like a lump instead of numbers, it has worn so badly! Well, maybe we can make some money off the metals... LOL

Thanks again!
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2007, 10:54 PM
    MrsMac2003 - You are so welcome, Thanks for the nice commit though. I just wish That I could have given you a better answer. But I have to have a Date ,And mint mark, If it had a mint mark, All coins do not havea mint mark. When I mentioned about the three legs , I would be able to give you a answer. Even If The date could not be read ,it would have been worth more1937 D - G 4 , is worth $500.oo,Lowest grade. The 1936 D with 3 1/2 legs is worth V G-8 IS worth $850.00 ::: Good luck and GOD BLESS:::::: F.B.E.
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2007, 11:13 PM
    Clough - Good evening there, hoe are doing, By any chanch did you GET SNOWED IN?? < That bad storm that went over you-all, stayed above us thanks to the upper winds blowing West to East , I do have A tot of kin folk living up in Ill. On my dad's side, Some also live up above you Green Bay Wis. Well I've got to a nswer a couple more questions if I can Have a good day & night Talk to you later, Thanks ,GOD BLESS<:::: F.B.E.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2007, 12:25 AM
    Greetings to you too, FBE!

I am fine! Have a two-day gig this weekend, [edited, wrong days listed], Saturday and Sunday, out of town.

I can remember years ago, going to a coin shop and purchasing a 1909 Lincoln Head Penny. Later, when I examined the coin under a magnifying glass, I discovered that it was actually a 1909 S VDB. The other markings had been worn off enough so that it was hard to see them with the naked eye. Even though the coin wasn't in the best of shape obviously, I felt good about the fact that I had paid less for the coin than if it had been priced as an S VDB.

Dec 9, 2007, 09:19 AM
    Hello Clough! Talk about "Old Home Week"! My husband is from the Quad Cities and we lived there for the first 4 years of our married life! Have a step-son and his family who live in Rock Island, a stepdaughter in East Moline, sis-in-law and bro-in-law in Geneseo as well as friends in Moline, Colona and Davenport!

I know that Des Moines got hit with 4 inches on the 6th and last I heard had flurries Saturday. How did the Quad Cities do?

I suppose, like my friends and family in Des Moines, that you don't want to hear that we were so warm yesterday we had to turn our air on for the day! LOL :cool:

Most of these coins I am putting into coin protectors are coins that my husband got while living and working in the QC area. Amazing what people will have in their change! I am still amazed at the people who think coins are worth only face value, or in the case of steel pennies think they are worthless and THROW THEM AWAY! Sheesh! Oh well, I suppose that having those thrown away just increases the value of those owned by us smarter collectors! :D
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2007, 01:21 AM
    Hey, thanks for sharing, MrsMac2003! In the Quad Cities, we have had ice and a few inches of snow. I am glad that you are putting your coins in the protectors no matter what the condition of them is!

You mention "coins." So, there are others?

Dec 14, 2007, 09:12 AM
    Oh MY YES there are other coins! LOL I bought a stack of 100 count 2X2 coin protectors, I have none left. Some are foreign coins but most are US. I still have a bunch of foreign coins to put into protectors though. I didn't realize how many coins we had!

The OLDEST coin we have is a 1724 British farthing. The oldest American we have is an 1899 nickel. We also have a roll of Sacajawea dollar coins 2000 D that are direct from the mint. Only the two end coins should show any wear and mostly from fingers holding the roll. My husband got that one from a lady paying for her gas with it!

He thinks we are going to be seeing a lot more old coins in circulation with the rising gas prices, etc.

He also collects paper currency. We have so far, a $20 and $5 note from Canada, 1000 lire from Italy, and not sure of the amount but we have at least one or two Iraqui paper currencies too. We know the Italian and Iraqui paper currencies are worthless but they sure are pretty! LOL The Canadian is still in circulation though. Hey, if we ever go to Canada we would have at least $25 to spend! LOL

Oh, and a LOT of this foreign money was found when he worked as a garbage man! You just would NOT believe the amount of money these guys find! People throw away purses, wallets, etc without thoroughly checking them for money. One time, he salvaged a cash box (kind you find garage sale people using) and found a $5 bill under the coin tray! Not only that but he has found winning lottery scratch off tickets too! He really misses that job, but I sure don't! LOL No more smelly husband and no more bugs dragged home in his "treasures"!

The weather here has been WONDERFUL! It has been reaching at least 80 every day! We have our air conditioning on! LOL Okay, I am done rubbing it in! LOL All that ice and snow is why we moved here to begin with. But I DO miss watching the snow fall! JUst don't miss shoveling it and driving in it.

Dec 14, 2007, 09:17 AM
    THat brings to mind another question... I may end up posting this again as its own question but thought I would ask you two for now.

In our foreign coins, we have a 1942F pfennig from Nazi Germany. Has the swastika on it and everything. We also have a 2 pfennig dated 1906 with a double D mint mark. Any idea how I can find the values of these two coins? I get the impression they might have more value than the other coins from Germany, etc. that we have. I remember something on Antique Roadshow about Nazi Germany coins being worth more. Just curious.
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2007, 08:05 PM
    MRSMac2003 - I to have a british coin called a ( FARTHING) IT is KING GEORGE THE 2nd, dated 1739, Ive had it since 1982 , A REal good frined of mine for about 30 yrars at that time was plowing his garden and it got turned over out of the ground,knowing I was a collector he called me and told me he had a coin for me, it was in excellent condition. I had to go to a reg. coin shop,and look in the very large foreign coin book of ( world coins), book to find out about mine, and it's value. I learned that it took 4 of them to make one british penny, in that same book you can look up about the German coins also at the same time, when you find out about these , come back in the "COLLECTABLES" and let me know,clough will be inter. In it also . NOT GOT NO ICE YET< SOME REAL HEAVY FROOST < GOT SNOW IN FORCAST > THEM YANKS CAN KEEP THAT THERE WHITE STUF THEYs , CALL SNOW UP THAR. Have a good day and GOD BLESS::::: F.B.E,
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2007, 04:02 AM
    Hello, you two! :)

I think that the earliest coins that I have right now are Flying Eagle Cents out of the 1850's.

One sad story that I do have concerning having a very early U.S. coin that was dated 1804. At one time, I knew what the coin was. I know that it wasn't a silver dollar. But, it did have a head on the obverse of it. I don't remember what was on the reverse. Flying Blue Eagle, could you list the possibilities as to what it might have been? I have know idea where any of my old coin books are. Thanks!

I found this coin, along with some others in a small box, in the attic of my mom's parent's home when I was about oh, seven or eight years old. My grandmother let me keep the coins.

One time, there were some worker's at our home digging in the side yard of our home. What they were doing, I don't know. But, me being a kid, I wanted to show off something that I had. It was the 1804 coin.

The sad part is, that when I showed it to one of the men who was working, he offered me a dollar for it and I accepted the offer! Man, what a dumb thing that I had done! :(
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2007, 08:31 PM
    Clough- I'm looking up the information for you . Get back with you tomorrow night,so far I have 3 different coins ::: F.B.E.
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2007, 08:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Blue Eagle
    Clough- I'm looking up the information for you . get back with you tomorrow night,so far i have 3 different coins ::: F.B.E.
    Okay, thanks! It is much appreciated! I know that it really doesn't amount to a hill of beans now, other than it is some kind of human interest story and also about what not to do when you are a child as far as showing not-so-well-meaning adults what you own. Thanks again! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Worn valve guides? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Briggs and Stratton 16HP flat head 180 v engine in a garden tractor. It has done lots of laps around the yard, over 25 seasons. The engine is drowning its paper air filter in oil after only a week or so. Looks to me like the oil is getting coughed up from the throat of the...

How can I replace worn o rings in a shower faucet? [ 1 Answers ]

How can I replace worn o rings in a shower faucet? Can anyone explain, please?

Replace those worn-out outlets! [ 1 Answers ]

This is not a question but more of a warning. When we moved into our house, we noticed that many of the receptacle outlets were worn-out and that plugs would fall out very easily. I told my wife that this is not just a nuisance, but it is unsafe, so I replaced at least half of the outlets within...

Worn Out Carpets [ 3 Answers ]

I moved into my apartment 12 years ago and the owner, at that time, put wall to wall carpeting in my apartment. The building has been bought and sold three times since then. The carpet was very "cheap" and after 12 years it is worn, dirty and is stretching in many places. Is the present owner...

Pre-Teen worn out [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 12-year old son who is an athlete (football, basketball, track, etc.). He is in great physical shape. We have noticed that if he goes for about three or four days, non-stop (practices and games combined), he gets stomach cramps and ends up having to miss a day of school. We know...

View more questions Search