Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dertryda8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2007, 10:38 AM
    Real Estate Agent
    I am a real estate agent in MA. Is there a list already prepared that provides you with a list of the different things you can write of as an agent. I also have another full time job that is salary based but my Real Estate office is going to 1099 me. Any information would be helpful.

Also if there isn't a list already created, could someone help me start one? Thanks.:confused:
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 3, 2007, 06:30 PM
    The biggest expense you can claim are those expenses associated with your car and its use while working as a real estate agent.

Also, the various fees you must pay are all deductible.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 3, 2007, 07:38 PM
    Talk to other agents, what do you spend money on as a agent, advertising, gas and car expense ( hope you are keeping a log book)
    Money you spend for education and training, licnese, E/O insurance
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 3, 2007, 10:42 PM
    "To be deductible, a business expense must be both ordinary and necessary. An ordinary expense is one that is common and accepted in your field of business. A necessary expense is one that is helpful and appropriate for your business. An expense does not have to be indispensable to be considered necessary."

You should keep track of all your business (Real Estate Agent) related expenses including record of business mileage, advertisement expenses, office supplies, food and entertainment, gifts to clients, name plate and banner... Each deduction has some limitation, for example commuting miles are not deductible.

For your 1099 income you will complete schedule C (Form 1040) to arrive at your net income. This income is subject to SE tax at 15.3% for which you will complete schedule SE (Form 1040). For year 2008, you may need to make estimated tax payments.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 4, 2007, 09:27 AM
    All advice from MukatA and Fr Chuck is very good.

You may also consider computer costs and Internet Service Provider costs as valid deductions on a pro-rated basis.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Security deposit to pay for real estate agent? [ 1 Answers ]

We ended our lease early. The lease stated that we could do this and we were responsible for rent until a new tenant moved in. So, I got to work. I put an ad on Craigslist, showed the house to multiple families and the first one I showed it to moved into the house. This was all done within a...

How to become a real estate agent? [ 2 Answers ]

Do you have to graduate high school to become a real estate agent? Or can you become one with a G.E.D.?

Finding a Real Estate agent? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm completely naïve on the subject, so bear with me. ;) How do you go about hiring the RIGHT real estate agent for you? I think personality (and obviously territory) are important so we are comfortable with who we are dealing with. Also, what do you do? Just walk in or call and make an...

Real Estate Agent [ 1 Answers ]

In about a month I am moving from Florida to California. After I get there, I would like to get a license to sell real estate. Can anyone recommend a good online school I can use? What is the percentage rate of people passing the test? And can someone give me an example of what kind of...

How to become a real estate agent? [ 2 Answers ]

How does someone become a real estate agent? Does it take long and what do you do after you have the credentials? How do you get started? Any advice would be great. I am trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.:cool:

View more questions Search