Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sandyczall Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2005, 11:22 AM
    Uninstalling my Xp
    Hello. Got a complicated problem. My windows xp crashed so I tried to install a separate xp system.. this did not work because I had the wrong product key(don't ask) So fine bought a brand new xp system. Problem is I have one operating system on my computer and half of another. I want to totally wipe everything and start over. The computer will not start in safe mode.. what do I do now? :confused:
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 8, 2005, 11:26 AM
    OK boot to your new XP disc and follow the prompts to install.

One of the options that you get during this process is to format your drive, hence completely wiping it clean.

Hope this helps

Dec 8, 2005, 01:43 PM
    Not getting that prompt :(
    The second system never totally loaded and it's when I try to load my disk I get an error and it says that I need to erase the other operating systems by booting up in safe mode . When I try to do that it says Windows Setup can not run in Safe mode...
    BossMan

Dec 8, 2005, 02:17 PM
    OK here's some simple instructions (may not be exact as I'm working from memory)
    *Look for message "booting from CD" usually located at the bottom of the screen. If you have a factory splash screen, press ESC to unload it.
    *Press any Key when you see the prompt to 'Press Any Key"
    *Setup will start copying files, if you need to install any third-party or RAID drivers press F6 at this time. the copying of files can take awhile.(leave this one)
    *Next you will get the option to repair or enter setup, choose to enter setup. Press ENTER.
    *Press F8 if you agree to the license.
    *Setup will scan for previous Windows installations
    *If you are using the upgrade version of XP on a computer without any version of Windows currently installed, this is where you will replace the XP CD with your qualifying CD, XP setup will scan the qualifying CD and instruct you to replace it with the XP CD to continue XP setup; otherwise, you will not see this screen.
    *Choose the location to install.
    a If this is a clean hard drive, you can choose to create a partition in the un-partitioned space. At this point, you can allow Setup to use all the space or set a size for the partition.

b If the hard drive or partition has a previous installation of XP you want to remove, choose to delete the partition by pressing "D". You will then be prompted to create a new partition in the empty space. This will remove all data from the deleted space. (**BEST OPTION TO CHOOSE**)
    *Choose the file system from this screen. If dual booting and you created the small 100 meg partition, make it a fat partition. NTFS is configured at the optimal file size during the initial setup.
    If you have more that one partition or hard drive on your system, make sure you are formatting the correct partition/drive.
    *Press Enter to continue.
    *Setup will show a progress box and reboot when copying files is complete.

Job done

This should solve your issue.

Dec 8, 2005, 02:49 PM
    Hi I am really appreciating all of your help. I have to admit sonme of it sounds like Greek.
    When I got to the checking for previous versions of windows prompt this is what came up after:

A problem had been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer
    Registry_error

if this is first time restart computer.. Check to make sure of any new hardware... software If probles continue disable or remove any newly installed softward . Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadows. If you need to use safemode to remove or disable components restart your computer press f8 to select advanced startup options and then select safe mode.

technical Information *** stop: 0x00000051(0x000000003,0x000000003,0x00000000,0xe1 18e000

:(
    BossMan

Dec 9, 2005, 03:58 AM
    Now that doesn't sound good at all.
    You'll need to boot from a boot disc and format in 'DOS'
    Then follow the instructions again.

You can get a Boot Disc Here
    The Windows 98 one will be fine, no need to use the XP one as all we want is the format command.
    Once at the A:> prompt you want to type FORMAT c:
    This will wipe your drive clean.
    Then reboot and boot on to CD again and complete the above operations, including the format again ;)
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Dec 9, 2005, 05:42 AM
    Howdy:

Unfortunately, if your XP system was formatted NTFS, CurlyBen's last suggestion probably won't work as DOS (format command) won't recognize the non-DOS (NTFS) partition..

If this is the case, you will need to use the bootdisk he directed you to and run the fdisk option first.. You will need to use the option to "Remove all non-DOS partitions" first..

Once that is done, you don't need to format anything as the XP cd will do it all!

Murray

Dec 9, 2005, 11:50 AM
    Well I think my computer hates me. :mad: I downloaded the boot disk to two separate floppy disks. Both the w98 and 98.

When I first placed the floppy in it gave some kind of error message saying something in Line 5 was wrong.
    Then it gave me options
    Fail ignore retry?access denied_
    So I kept trying to but in ignore or retry.. finally it just kicked me to a A:> command prompt
    So I tried putting in what you guys told me.. fdisk... format... delete
    Finally I was kicked out...
    So fine I try to restart the friggin thing and guess what? Can't do anything. The thing says
    Non-system disk or disk error
    Replace disk and hit any key_
    This happens with both the disks

Now I just want to say that I do appreciate all the help you guys are trying to give me.. it probably would work for other computers.. mine is just out to get me..
    I am typing on my laptop by the by...

This laptop has a version 1 windows 98 system can't do squat on it as you know.. do you think it will be better to just load the system on here and make due with that.. I don't really want to though :( I want to fix my desk top
    BossMan

Dec 9, 2005, 12:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandyczall
    Non-system disk or disk error
    replace disk and hit any key_
    Are you getting this messge when you try to boot on to the floppies or boot normally?

Have you tried to reinstall XP yet ?

Dec 9, 2005, 06:14 PM
    Did you just download the file itself to a floppy? That's NOT what you are supposed to do..

The file you downloaded is a self-ectarcting file that needs to be run to extract the necessary files..

Download the file to your c: drive.. Make sure you have a clean formatted floppy in a: drive.. Double click the file you downloaded and let it install/extract the files to the floppy!

Murray

Dec 10, 2005, 01:37 AM
    But I was not told that in the beginning. Because I am using someone else's computer to download things.. I immediately saved it to the disk. So that I have a better understanding.. Tell me If I am correct. I down load the boot disk to let's say My doc.. I then use the winzip to extract all the files.. once all the files are extracted. . I save all the files or the whole folder to the disk I then take the floppy idisk to my computer and place it in.. Choose the option of " remove all non-dos partitions" first. Once the get an A:> prompt.. I type in format(space) c:... correct?. this should take care of everything and then I can insert the xp system disk and everything will run okay? Am I leaving anything out?

Now by doing this I in no way will damage the person's computer I am dwonloading it to correct? I won't erase anything by opening up the bootdisk as you are saying correct.

Dec 10, 2005, 08:44 AM
    Close.. but the file is self-extracting IF you downloaded the .exe file.. All you need to do is put a clean formatted floppy in a: drive and double click the file you downloaded.. It will do all the rest!

Murray

Dec 10, 2005, 09:25 AM
    Okay will try today thanks for help.. will post back as soon as I am able to.. I think my laptop is going out now. This whole thing is very unstable. So in case I am lost for the next couple of days :mad: I thank you and Curly ben now! :D :cool:

But like I said push comes to shove I'll upgrade the laptop with the xp... I have 128 mb of ram is that is enough correct.

Dec 10, 2005, 10:40 AM
    128megs is touch and go.. XP eats ram like no tomorrow.. Persoanlly, I wouldn't install it with anything less than 256megs with 512 being preferred!

Murray
    BossMan

Dec 10, 2005, 10:42 AM
    To add to what SESaskDFC posted you need an absolute minimum processor speed of 500 Mhz any less and its like working with treacle ;)

Dec 12, 2005, 10:59 PM
    Hello great job you guys.. Good looking out! I redid the boot disk file. And I uploaded to my computer.. I admit it started asking me questions that I wasn't ready for. So I shook the dice and just plain guessed... Either way I wiped it clean . Now if you all can help me with one more little problem :confused: When I got to the installing windows page and it says it will be installed in 40 minutes or so.. the blue screen... I get a message such as this
    "The file 'asms' on Windows XP Professional Sevice Pack 1 CD is needed. type Path where file is located and click ok"

Initially it said this in the little box"d:>186" or something like that.

Any idea what they are talking about?

Dec 13, 2005, 08:59 AM
    Does the XP install cd you are using include SP1? It almost sounds like you are doing a 'Repair" rather than a format and install..

Murray

Dec 13, 2005, 09:14 AM
    Nah Come to find out.. this is a common problem when it comes to installing XP what I found out from the Microsoft site is that the disk or program is not communicating with the CD-Rom drive. It won't recognize the drive or something. I have went to a few other sites and they are telling me to do the same thing... but I'm scared..

Here is the link for Microsoft.. there was another site that gave the same instructions..
    http://search.microsoft.com/search/info.aspx?u=http%3A%2F%2Fsupport.microsoft.com%2Fd efault.aspx%3Fscid%3Dkb%3Ben-us%3B311755&n=1&na=51&c=10&fp=3&st=b&na=88&View=en-us&qu='asms'+file

So I am going really slow but the worse that can happen is that I have to reinstall the system. With you guys help that will be no problem now...

by the by.. you can take that part about the small number of posts off your signature.. everyone can tell that you know what you are talking about! ;) :D

Dec 13, 2005, 11:48 AM
    Your url didn't work but is THIS (<-- click here) similar to what you saw at Microsoft?

Murray

Dec 13, 2005, 02:55 PM
    Yep that was it exactly! But you are not going to believe this. I was so hesitant to do all those steps, and on the Microsoft site they warn you that if you do the regedit wrong you will damgae your operating system and have to reinstall it. So I went to another site and one person said they simply took the CD out of the top drive and put it in the second(CD-ROM) drive . They said that the restart program started right up. Now when I did that I got the same error code I got before I clicked OK for the d:/186(?) drive and just exited out the system. About an 3 hours later(did not want to do the other steps :( ) I came put the cd in the correct drive and BAM it went through with no problem!. God is good( and you all are too)

So Iam on now but unfortunately got another problem

I can't get my DSL to work.. just found out the drivers for the surfboard are not install.. so going to the motorola site to download them...

Thanks for everything.. (and you probably be hearing from me again!) :cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Uninstalling a shower drain. [ 1 Answers ]

We are trying to figure out how to uninstall :eek: a shower drain and disconnect the water lines so that we can pull the shower away from the wall to insulate it. Then after insulating the wall we want to put the shower back and install everything back to working order. Never taken a shower drain...

Deleting/uninstalling old MS Windows? [ 4 Answers ]

Unfortunately I have had to reinstall MS Windows twice and now have three copies on my hard drive, can anyone tell me how to effectively delete/uninstall the two older copies not being used from my hard drive without upsetting the root system?

Linux/Windows XP Uninstalling [ 5 Answers ]

Can anyone here give me help in uninstalling Windows XP and installing Linux? My friend told me to get Linux because it's much better, but I'm having a hard time uninstalling Windows XP (Professional). Giving me steps to instaling Linux would also be a help me a bundle.

Uninstalling software [ 1 Answers ]

I recentley installed some autocad software, but it didn`t fully install and now I can`t uninstall the program and it is causing loads of problems with the computer. Even my smart restore won`t work so I can`t take it back to an earlier time. What do you suggest I do?

Device Manager - Hardware Not Uninstalling [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 2.8Ghz computer running Windows XP, I have decided to set up a network and so I need to change my Cable modem from its current USB connection to a Ethernet connection in order to set up the network. However, when I go to Device Manager to uninstall the USB modem, it says: "Failed to...

View more questions Search