Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 3, 2007, 05:08 AM
    Where are the computer Gurus?
    Hi,

I've posted at least two computer questions lately and have not receive one answer back...

Are our computer Gurus gone, or are they ignoring me for some reason?

I would appreciate it if someone would kindly let me know if computer assistance is still available.

The issue with sites popping up in new tabs on my IE7 is just driving me nuts and I need some serious help here.

P.S and why are suddenly Google ads appearing below my smileys? I know they are not generated by my smiley program...
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2007, 05:27 AM
    I'm rarely here on the weekends, too much family stuff to do. I've responded to your IE7 question. Can you point me to a post where a Google ad shows up under a smiley? I have Firefox with AdBlock installed so I rarely see ads.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 3, 2007, 05:27 AM
    Cher, I am by no means a computer guru, but I wonder if you have a pop up blocker?

Also, have you tried using Firefox? I believe it has a built in pop up blocker.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 3, 2007, 05:45 AM
    Hi J..

Yup, have all that, been working with computers since they created them for home use - even before that due to my job.

Have popup blocker, antispam and antispy progs too.

If I use Firefox with this stupid german computer, I cannot use my smileys.. go figure - can't figue that one out yet. On my other laptop, it is different way around. But this one, even though in german and keyboard drives me crazy sometimes, is lighter and I can use it on my lap in bed (which I spend most of my time on right now cause I have pneumonia again - which complicates things a little for me at this stage - even missed appmt for two x-rays today due to high temp and nightsweats - was even a little delerious).

Larry is enjoying the heck out of it right now cause he loves sleeping with mom. He gets real close when I have chills and goes to the side when I sweat, so he is moving a lot lately, but still is able to have mom all to himself. He's in cat's heaven at this point. I swear, he's just the most purrfect fourlegged man in my life right now.

CU later,
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2007, 05:50 AM
    Well I answered here and I answered the question you posted but you only acknowledge the post by J9, am I on Ignore?
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 3, 2007, 06:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Well I answered here and I answered the question you posted but you only acknowledge the post by J9, am I on Ignore?
    Being so far away, what happened was that I received J's post first, then your's.. you both posted at the same time.

As far as the ads from Google go, they just appeared when I posted the initial questions, when I went back to 'edit' and save, they went byebye.. so I guess that's normal.

Of course you are NOT on my ignore list, buddy, we've been here too long and I wouldn't do that to you.

I have less probs with popups due to Win Defender and other software, but now when I open a new tab on IE, instead of a blank page, I get stuff from sites that I don't visit - they just show up and 'intrude'... this jazzes me off.
    Doing all the possible solving such a contacting msn for solutions, reinstalling windows defender and setting it up.. cleaning registry with CCleaner, etc.
    Last night, I ran my antivir prog, even though it is one that's on all the time, then ran defragger, practically all maintenance that is scheduled on a regular basis, but I just again received a new tab, new internet site warning me that my computer was at risk and that I should try their trial software... I have a feeling the IE7 and Vista are not that safe as they claim and something is going on, or I'm just not as good as I used to be.

I also uninstalled Norton Internet Security trial that came with this laptop.. so maybe it's their way of getting revenge for not buying their product (paranoid now... yup).

Anyhow, if this is happening to others with the same OS, etc, let me know so that I can be reassured that I'm not totally bonkers yet.

Love,
    Chery
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 3, 2007, 06:27 AM
    Right after I pressed submit for the last post to you, Karma, I automatically got a new tab on my explorer from a site I don't know, with an offer to win a prize...

SSSSS it happens, but I hate it and wish it would not happen.

Uber Member

Dec 3, 2007, 06:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chery
    I just again received a new tab, new internet site warning me that my computer was at risk and that I should try their trial software
    That's a clue that your PC is infected with something since that the M.O. of many adware infections. I too have Vista at home but use XP at work. I'm surprised that Windows Defender didn't catch that. To be honest, others that the many frequent updates we get for Windows Defender I never get any notice of it working.

Try to get a screenshot or the text of the software that the new tab wants you to buy, that'll help determine which adware it is and possibly help us look for a fix specific to that one.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2007, 07:16 AM
    Hello Chery:

I generally fix mine like your little guy at the bottom. It works, too.

excon
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 3, 2007, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    That's a clue that your PC is infected with something since that the M.O. of many adware infections. I too have Vista at home but use XP at work. I'm surprised that Windows Defender didn't catch that. To be honest, others that the many frequent updates we get for Windows Defender I never get any notice of it working.

Try to get a screenshot or the text of the software that the new tab wants you to buy, that'll help determine which adware it is and possibly help us look for a fix specific to that one.
    I reinstalled defender and ran a scan - no issues.
    But I did find two sites that I did not recognize on my internet options site lists, took their url and placed them in the banned section. One was from spyware-secure.com - they were the ones who claimed that my PC was not secure and the I should try their apps and another site that offered prizes..

What bugged me most was that they were not popups, but actual tab-starters and I had to spend time saying 'no thanks' and closing the darned tabs.. I also set my Int Options to prompt me for everything from now on so that nothing hardly starts autmatically - maybe that will fix it too.

So, now at least those two won't intrude anymore. And I will do that to any others that intrude from now on. I hope I have the hang of it now..

Like I said, I like challenge, but some of them are not planned on.

EXCON... That and throwing them out the window, are my first impulses, but I'm glad that I still settle down and get into 'not let them get me' phase after that. When I have other things to do though, I just pull the plug - and we live to play another day.

vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Dec 16, 2007, 12:50 PM
    The (free) programs I recommend for dealing with spyware/adware on Windows are:

The home of Spybot-S&D!

Ad-Aware @ Lavasoft - The Original Anti-Spyware Company - Lavasoft

I run both on my XP machine at work once a week. They both catch different things... perhaps Windows Defender does, too, so it can't hurt downloading & using them.

Vasily

Vasily

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Photo gurus: Do you think this is doctored? [ 17 Answers ]

What do you think? Is there any way to tell for sure? I love "cool pics" but half the time cannot tell whether it's real or not:

Questions for Tennis Gurus :) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I need some help from a tennis guru. See, I'm taking an online tennis course and we get 40 assignment questions to do, and I've done most of them, but these two: I really just don't get. If, when serving into the right service court on the SECOND serve, the ball hits within the service...

70' 80's spy,secret agent , action , martial arts movie gurus ! [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to track down the title of a film I saw on TV here in australia in the late 70's / 80's , unsure . I don't have any info about actors , directors or even a specific year , sorry. It was about ( bare with me please , I may have gotten some of this wrong ) a soldier whose death was...

Direct computer to computer connection via Ethernet ports [ 1 Answers ]

I should like to connect two Windows XP computers via Gigabit ethernet ports. What a software is necessary To ensure the possibility to use one of the PCs as a terminal of another With sharing HDDs ets?

Newly built computer for sale! Powerful Computer! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a computer for sale, here are the specs: DFI Landparty NF4 SLI-DR Motherboard AMD64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ Processor 1GB of Corsair XMS Dual Channel RAM Aspire X-Cruiser Silver Case 550 Watt Antec True Power Power Supply 7800GTX 256MB DDR3 Graphics Card with SLI enabled 300GB Maxtor...

View more questions Search