Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2007, 06:47 PM
    Ear problems
    I had Trink in for her semi-annual check-up yesterday, and she had a large wax plug in one ear. The kind where they had to put in the foamy stuff to soften it up before they could manage to flush the ear out. No infection, thankfully. And I have been given some of the foamy stuff to use at home, so hopefully we won't have this problem in the future.

The vet said to give her benadryl yesterday to help deal with any inflammation from the wax, the foam, and having her ears prodded and poked. Should I be concerned that she is still occasionally doing the head-shake thing? Give her some more benadryl? Call in the morning if she is still doing it?
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2007, 08:09 PM
    She's probably shaking her head because it is a little swollen and feels strange, but unless you see some nastiness in there, an odor, or she seems to be in a lot of pain I don't see much reason to worry, but, it's never a bad idea to call the vet if yo are concerned.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2007, 08:11 PM
    Benadryl? Perhaps it will lessen the itching. What is the foaming stuff? Peroxide? Yes, make a follow up call to the vet. I haven't discussed Aster's excess wax with the vet for a long time. Maybe there is something new that would help. I will ask my friend that has her half sister about it Saturday when I see her. Several good vets have looked at one or the other and concluded little to be done except cleaning them. I use water with a little vinegar. I feel sorry for Aster. She can't hear very well, but her ears still itch.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2007, 08:47 AM
    It's called OtiFoam, and the ingredients list says:

Water, cocamidopropyls bentane, PEG-60 almond glycerides, isostearamidopropyl morphine lactate, salicylic acid, eucalyptus oil.

A blurb on it says: OtiFoam contains surface acting agents which loosen and dislodge excessive wax formation in the ear canal of cats and dogs. OtiFoam's foaming action helps to break down or dislodge large clumps of debris. Excellent for cleaning ears with more purulent exudates. Strong enough for in-clinic use, yet safe enough for client application. OtiFoam is formulated with a pleasant fragrance for greater client compliance. Use prior to using DVM's OtiRinse to flush excess wax and to dry the ear canal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Thermostat problems or furnace problems [ 22 Answers ]

Is it possible that a thermostat operates correct all the time except when it reaches the temperature that is set doesn't maintain that temperature?:D I noticed that actually that thermostat gives a signal to the furnace but furnace doesn't turn on but that happens only when thermostat needs to...

Social Problems and Sociological Problems [ 4 Answers ]

Differntiate between social problems and sociological problems

Do I have problems? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a 21 year old that had things in his life straightened out. I have hobbies and attempt to keep myself busy. My girlfriend that I've been seeing for the past 5 months, I am in love with, and she loves me too. We have a great relationship. However, the most little things set me off and...

3 problems [ 2 Answers ]

the mean median unique mode and range of a collection of eight integers are equal to 8. find the largest integer that can be an element of this collection. the digits 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,9 are used to form four two-digit prime numbers with each digt uded exactly once. What is the sum of these...

Two problems [ 4 Answers ]

So we are having issues with our lab shepherd mix, we live in an apartment but she has a doggie door to our patio and she gets plenty of exercise she goies for long walks and our other puppy and her play all day. She previously had an issue with growling at other dogs in public but that stopped...

View more questions Search