Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lovelife63 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2007, 02:36 PM
    Security deposit to gain or not to gain?
    Living in Rochester NY. Had a one year lease ready to move . This complex is privately owned corp. Its huge. Leaving Rochester office claims it will send security in one month time. Does this complex have the right to keep the interest my security deposit has gained. In the past living at other complexes I have received the interest from security deposits. Unsure this time.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 2, 2007, 02:41 PM
    Yes, the landlord owes you the interest. Check out Tenant's Rights Guide for your rights under NY law.

Here is a portion of the info there:

"Landlords, regardless of the number of units in the building, must treat the deposits as trust funds belonging to their tenants and they may not co-mingle deposits with their own money. Landlords of buildings with six or more apartments must put all security deposits in New York bank accounts earning interest at the prevailing rate. Each tenant must be informed in writing of the bank's name and address and the amount of the deposit. Landlords are entitled to annual administrative expenses of 1% of the deposit. All other interest earned on the deposits belongs to the tenants. Tenants must be given the option of having this interest paid to them annually, applied to rent, or paid at the end of the lease term. If the building has fewer than six apartments, a landlord who voluntarily places the security deposits in an interest bearing bank account must also follow these rules. For example: A tenant pays a security deposit of $400. The landlord places the deposit in an interest bearing bank account paying 2.5%. At the end of the year the account will have earned interest of $10.00. The tenant is entitled to $6.00 and the landlord may retain $4.00, 1% of the deposit, as an administrative fee."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I can't gain weight [ 1 Answers ]

Six weeks ago I had a 7 hour spinal operation, and whilst recovering I lost 2 and a half kilos. I've always been very thin as I have a really fast metabolism, but I've always eaten loads! Since my operation though, I can't seem to get my appetite back, and I get full up really quickly. I...

Gain Weight [ 3 Answers ]

I am on a mission to add 10kg's of weight to my body, I need suggestions on what type of food to eat and to know whether there is any medication I can take to make the process easier. If I gain 10kg's, I want to start body building and improve myself image. :cool: Any help is much...

How can I gain 15 pounds? [ 4 Answers ]

I've been trying to gain about 15 pounds for a couple of months but I'm stuck at 115. I'm 5'6 and I would love to gain a little weight. No matter how much I eat I can't gain any weight. Any suggestions?

Weight Gain [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Was not to sure which category to put this under. Well I am a 33 year old female and I am 5'1 and weight about 95 or 96 lbs. I think I am underweight. But I eat like a pig. I am not picky at all with what I eat. So how would I go about gaining weight? What should I weight? I used to...

How to gain weight? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm about to turn 15 on December 22nd. I'm a male, 6 feet, 1 inch. I'm quite tall however I'm only 130 pounds. My parents both doctors don't have time to take me to a gym to work out plus they said that I'm too young to go to the gym. My mother carried me to a gym after I begged her about 2 months...

View more questions Search