Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ramjet51 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2007, 10:30 AM
    How does the government know you are married?
    Hi All,

I'm very new to the board, 56 retired Navy, Engineer and I've found a wonderful woman whom I've now know for 2.5 years. We have the K1 Visa approved and on the way to Brazil... my Question is... How does the Government actually know if you marry? I mean, is there some type of national database for this?

Thanks

Roger
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2007, 03:54 PM
    When you get married you have to get a marriage license, and that is what lets the government know you are married, and if you don't get one, you can't marry.
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Dec 3, 2007, 03:21 PM
    Charlotte yes you are right, but having a marriage licence doesn't mean you are married, it just means that you have your gov's acceptance to GET married. After it is signed, a copy is sent to the gov, and then they file it. It is then that they know you are married.
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2007, 10:10 PM
    People don't get a marriage license to not get married, thanks, that was assumed. Giving bad reputation for answers that are not factually incorrect or very rude is abuse of the rating system.
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Dec 4, 2007, 11:23 AM
    I wasn't being factually incorrect... It's the truth. The government doesn't consider a person married when they get the marriage licence because many people get the marriage licence then at the last minute back out of the wedding. That is why after you have signed it a copy is sent to them, that is when you are considered married.
    BMI Posts: 892, Reputation: 270

Dec 4, 2007, 11:34 AM
    For Immigration purposes they can check to see if you are married, the onus is on the applicant to prove the marriage (providing the necessary documentation). So the Government will not look up if you are actually married, YOU yourself must prove that to their satisfaction, if they are suspicious about the bona fida of the marriage they have what is called a marriage interview.

I assume this is what information you wanted in that you posted it under Immigration Law.
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2007, 08:44 PM
    I'm just saying, that the marriage license entitles you to marry, why get one if you're not going to marry?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 4, 2007, 08:47 PM
    There is no data base to find if you are married or not, it is not getting a marriage license, but it is the licnese being signed by the couple and by a proper authority who then returns it. Once it is received back by the court that issued the license, then the state views them as married as of the date it was signed by the authorty who did the service
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2007, 08:58 PM
    I agree with you, I'm just assuming that people who get the marriage license get married and have it all taken care of haha.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 4, 2007, 09:07 PM
    Surprising no, a percent of license are not returned, There have been cases of the preacher losing or forgetting to turn them in. ( THERE ARE even time frames they have to be turned back in, or they are void)
    I know of one case where the pastor did the wedding, and forgot to turn in the licnese, found it latter, they had to go to a judge to have him rule it valid,
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2007, 09:08 PM
    Haha wow, that's awful, I'd be so angry!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Government help [ 2 Answers ]

Who serves as the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces?

Only in the Government. [ 1 Answers ]

Subject: Only in the Government 150 years ago, President Lincoln found it necessary to hire a private investigator - Alan Pinkerton for protection. That was the beginning of the Secret Service. Since that time, the federal government has produced a large number of multi-letter agencies such...

View more questions Search