Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jwang1024 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2007, 09:39 AM
    Stinky smell from my bathroom or septic system
    My house has its own sewage system (septic tank) and the house is only 2 years old ( built in 2006). Starting last week, we smell horrible smell from our first floor powder room and one of bathroom on second floor (this two rooms share same piples of the sewage system). All other three bathrooms on the second floor are fine. The bad smell happens only after a shower or bath and it last about several hours. We have used RID-X that is used to treat our septic tank. Unfortunately, it does not get rid of the terrible stinky smell. Does anybody know what went wrong in the sewage system? And any solution for this problem? Thank you very much for your answer my questions.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2007, 09:41 PM
    Does the toilet move? A toilet that moves causes a wax seal to settle and allow sewer gas to bypass the seal.
    Liam1306 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Dec 5, 2007, 10:05 PM
    Again with the plumbing vents.
    These stick out of your roof and vent sewer gases up above your home.
    If they are semi-clogged, you smell it in your home.
    When you take a shower, or bath, these drain large volumes of water which providing enough suction to burp these gases up through the drain.

This is not good.

Of course, the people whom built the home (their sub-contractors) may have forgotten to glue the pipes together, or like my mother's home - drilled holes in the plumbing vents.

It oonly took cutting out the sheetrock, some blue pvc glue and the time to put the sheet rock back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stinky smell BEHIND shower. AND GNATS! [ 1 Answers ]

About a month ago, I noticed a very foul odor in my upstairs bathroom and I was almost for certain that it was coming from there... but to my surprise, it was coming from the downstairs bathroom (the 2 bathrooms are stacked one on top of the other).. I found out that its coming from the downstairs...

Stinky Bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

We have two bathrooms and both toilets clog a lot, and the two sinks and showers drains are slow. Kitchen drain is fine. This all started when one of the toilets over flowed and a lot of water got on the floor. We have laminate flooring in the bathroom that we just had installed about 6 months...

Stinky sewer smell when using washer [ 1 Answers ]

When using washer that drains to a tub there is a stinky sewer smell. I am not sure were it's coming from.

Stinky bathroom [ 8 Answers ]

We have recently moved into a two year old home. I was so excited about the move because our other house had a stinky bathroom. I called every plumber in town and they all thought I was crazy. There were not leaks of any kind and they found no problems what so ever except I had a stinky...

Bathroom in Basement tie-in to Septic System [ 3 Answers ]

This seems like a great board. I've read several basement bathroom threads, but I haven't been able to get my question answered, so here is another basement bathroom thread. I want to add a small bathroom in my basement. The location would be on the back wall of my house about 6 feet away...

View more questions Search