Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wandererrob Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Dec 1, 2007, 10:34 PM
    Is it safe to wrap (i.e. insulate) baseboard heat pipes?
    I'd like to wrap the heat and hot water pipes in my basement/garage.

A fair portion of the plumbing for our baseboard heat, not to mention all the hot water in the house, runs through the unheated half of our basement and garage (which doesn't even get the benefit of the radiant heat from the furnace). We were thinking that by insulating the pipes it'd help save money on oil this winter.

It safe to do this? I don't hitnk the pipes ever get hot enough, but I thought it'd be wise to find out before going gung-ho on the pipe wrapping.

Thanks,

Rob
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 2, 2007, 12:04 AM
    Yes you can insulate the pipes. There is pipe coverings available for this purpose.
    jaygeorge Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2010, 07:38 PM
    I have hot water baseboard heat. I have found that insulating the pipes to the heaters is not only helpful to get more heat to the heaters, but has also helped in reducing my heating bill. I used the inexpensive foam sleeves you can find at any hardware store for about $2 per 10 foot .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Rushing through baseboard heat pipes [ 4 Answers ]

We have a Weil Mclain Gold Oil furnace that is approximately four years. The furnace generates heat through our hotwater baseboard heat pipes. Lately we hear the sound of rushing water in the pipes. In the past we have heard banging when the system is cold and heating up, but this is something...

Baseboard heat [ 3 Answers ]

We have installed baseboard heaters in our upstairs bedrooms. The problem is the water is flowing and the pipes in the first bedroom heat up but the heat stops as it goes into the second bedroom. We have bled the pipes and it seems we have gotten all the air out. The pipes in the first bedroom...

Baseboard Hot water pipes [ 1 Answers ]

My house is about 38 yrs old and my hot water baseboard heating system was installed with iron pipes instead of copper. Im renovating part of my house and the iron pipes and fittings are expoxed because I opened the ceiling. The pipes look good with no rust. Im afraid one day they will rot. Should...

How does air get in baseboard pipes [ 3 Answers ]

Five years ago I started to get a gurgling in the second floor pipes when the heat went on. I tried bleeding the pipes but in a few days the gurgling came back. Someone said I might have a leak so I shut off all the water except the boiler fill and after 8 hours the water meter did not move. But...

Baseboard heat [ 1 Answers ]

I'm installing 6000 watts of electric baseboard heat in a rental and want to install it all on #10 copper Romex. I want to know if I can install it on a contactor in basement for control of it. I also want to control it on and off with a 120 volt thermostat to coil of contactor.

View more questions Search